Men's tennis team falls at Appalachian State
BOONE, NC – Appalachian State won four of the six singles matches and took home the doubles point to garner a 5-2 victory over UNC Greensboro in Southern Conference men’s tennis action Friday afternoon.
After the host Mountaineers won the first two singles matches, UNCG’s Martin Redelinghuys picked up a straight set victory, 6-3, 6-3, over Ryan Brookshaw at No. 2 singles.
ASU (9-9, 1-6 SoCon) then got a victory in No. 4 singles, before Jason Steinhorn won the Spartans other match of the day over Robert Hogewood, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 6 singles.
UNCG (3-19, 1-8 SoCon) did get a doubles win as the No. 1 duo of Marc Ladoucer and Redelinghuys downed Brookshaw and Andrew Taylor, 8-6. But, ASU won the other two doubles matches for the point.
The most entertaining match of the day was at No. 1 singles as Alex Probst outlasted UNCG’s Ladoucer in three-sets by the score of 7-6, 3-6 and 10-8.
UNCG, which has now completed its regular season conference slate, will visit in-state rival UNC Wilmington on Wednesday, April 12 at 2 pm.
Appalachian State (ASU) 5, UNC Greensboro (UNCG) 2
1) Alex Probst (ASU) def. Marc Ladoucer (UNCG), 7-6, 3-6, 10-8
2) Martin Redelinghuys (UNCG) def. Ryan Brookshaw, 6-3, 6-3
3) Dimitar Dimitrov (ASU) def. Ian Conchar (UNCG), 6-3, 6-0
4) Andrew Waters (ASU) def. Austin Wilty (UNCG), 6-3, 6-2*
5) Andrew Taylor (ASU) def. Ryan Lewis (UNCG), 6-4, 6-0
6) Jason Steinhorn (UNCG) def. Robert Hogewood (ASU), 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 5, 2, 4, 6, 1
1) Ladoucer/Redelinghuys (UNCG) def. Brookshaw/Taylor, 8-6
2) Dimitrov/Waters (ASU) def. Steinhorn/Lewis (UNCG), 8-5
3) Hogewood/Probst (ASU) def. Wilty/Conchar (UNCG), 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
- UNCG -