Men’s Soccer hosts North Florida on Friday; free fireworks show after the match
UNCG vs. North Florida, Sept. 9, 7 p.m., UNCG Soccer Stadium
Video: Spartan All Access (free)
GREENSBORO, N.C.—UNCG's men's soccer returns to action against North Florida, 7 p.m., Friday at UNCG Soccer Stadium. Admission is free.
The Spartans (1-1-0) are playing their first match since a 1-0 double overtime home loss to East Tennessee State on Aug. 31. Last Monday's match at Clemson was cancelled due to heavy rains. It does not appear as if the match will be rescheduled.
Through two matches, junior forward Hakan Ilhan leads the Spartans in scoring with two goals, both coming in UNCG's 3-2 win over then-No. 12 Duke on Aug. 26. Sophomore Oddur Gudmundsson scored UNCG's other goal against the Blue Devils, while sophomore Brian Graham and freshman David Reittinger each recorded assists.
Junior goalkeeper Peyton Ford carries a 1.35 goals-against average into Friday's match. Through two matches, Ford has made seven saves.
North Florida, members of the Atlantic Sun Conference, is also 1-1-0 following a 5-0 loss at Georgia Southern and a 1-0 win over Longwood last weekend. Mauricio Valderruten has UNF's only goal this season.
Friday's match will also feature several promotions as UNCG Athletics honors the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Among those promotions is a free post-match fireworks display.
• The Spartans are currently ranked fourth in the NSCAA South Region poll
• Friday's match will be the first meeting between North Florida and UNCG
• The match with UNF is UNCG's only scheduled match with an Atlantic Sun Conference squad in 2011. Last season the Spartans went 0-1-1 against the A-Sun, losing 2-1 to Jacksonville and tying former member Campbell (1-1).
• Head coach Justin Maullin is 13-7-4 (.625) in his second season with the Spartans
• UNCG is 7-3-2 at home under Maullin
• Following Friday's match the Spartans will play their next three matches away from home, starting Sunday at Charlotte (7 p.m.). UNCG also visits Navy (Sept. 17) and William & Mary (Sept. 20) before opening a three-match home stand against Gardner-Webb on Sept. 24.