UNCG (6-23, 6-12) vs. Davidson (17-13, 10-8)
McKenzie Arena • Chattanooga, Tenn.
March 4, 2011 • Game 30 • 2 p.m.
Radio: WCOG 1320-AM (Scott Pryzwansky & Rick Duckett)
Internet: SoCon.TV (subscription required)
• After facing Davidson in the season finale on Saturday, UNCG will turn right around and face the Wildcats again on Friday in the first round of the 2011 Southern Conference Tournament in Chattanooga, Tenn. The Spartans and Wildcats will meet a 2 p.m. in McKenzie Arena, with the winner set to face Western Carolina on Saturday at 2 p.m.
• The Wildcats lead the all-time series against the Spartans, 20-8, dating back to 1998. Earlier this season, the Spartans defeated Davidson, 77-69, in the Greensboro Coliseum when Trevis Simpson delivered a career-high 33 points. In the rematch this past Saturday, Davidson came out on top 78-67 on Senior Day. Prior to UNCG's win on Jan. 17, UNCG hadn't defeated the the Wildcats in nine-straight meetings and had only one win in the previous 17 contests.
• The Spartans and Wildcats have met four times in the SoCon Tournament, with each team winning a pair of games. The last time the two sides met was in 2008 when UNCG fell to Davidson, 82-52, in the semifinals. In 2005, UNCG came out on top of the Wildcats, 73-68, in the semifinals in McKenzie Arena.
• This past Saturday, UNCG fell 78-67 to Davidson on the road in the regular season finale for both teams. UNCG trailed by as many as 14 points in the first half, but came back to take a two-point lead with just under nine minutes left in the contest. The Wildcats would go on an 18-2 run over the next six minutes to take lead they wouldn't relinquish.
• The Wildcats ended the regular season at 17-13 overall and 10-8 in the SoCon. Davidson has now won nine of its last 10 contests coming in to Friday's game.
• The scoring for UNCG this season seems to come from a different scorer every night. The Spartans have had an amazing seven different players score 23 or more points in a single game this season. Korey Van Dussen and Trevis Simpson have scored 33 in a game, while Brandon Evans and Aaron Brackett have added 28 in contests this year. Aloysius Henry had 26 in a game, Cole had 24 points against Citadel and Kyle Randall scored 23 earlier this season.
• UNCG has nearly five scorers who average double figure points. Evans leads the team at 11.9 ppg, while Trevis Simpson (11.4) is also in double figures despite only starting in seven games. Aloysius Henry (9.5), Kyle Randall (9.4) and Korey Van Dussen (9.1) aren't far behind as they all average over nine points.
• Over the past 11 games, Brandon Evans has been a force to be recogned with. Over the stretch, Evans has averaged 18.5 points per game and has scored 20 of more points in six of the 11 contests. He has also been efficient from the free throw line during that time by going 65-75 from the charity stripe for an 87 percent clip.
• UNCG was winless in its first 15 outings this season after facing six ACC opponents and very tough teams in Richmond and VCU. The 0-15 start by the Spartans marked the worst start in school history, breaking the record set by the 1967-68 and 1968-69 teams, which both started 0-7.
UNCG vs. Davidson - Davidson leads 20-8
March 9, 2008 L 52-82 Davidson, N.C. (SoCon)
Feb. 5, 2009 L 54-75 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Feb. 25, 2009 L 49-70 Davidson, N.C.
Feb. 24, 2010 L 56-60 Davidson, N.C.
Jan. 17, 2011 W 77-69 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Feb. 26, 2011 L 67-78 Davidson, N.C.
Breaking it all down:
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 71.3 (108)
Rebounds: 11.4 (166)
Assists: 11.4 (290)
FG%: 43.0% (210)
FT%: 69.4% (162)
3P%: 35.9% (100)
Points: 81.4 (343)
Rebounds: 22.0 (284)
Assists: 15.0 (315)
FG%: 48.4% (340)
FT%: 71.1% (280)
3P%: 38.7% (336)
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 71.7 (103)
Rebounds: 12.3 (91)
Assists: 12.6 (193)
FG%: 43.6% (172)
FT%: 73.1% (57)
3P%: 34.6% (160)
Points: 67.6 (165)
Rebounds: 24.3 (119)
Assists: 9.9 (11)
FG%: 43.1% (167)
FT%: 69.6% (198)
3P%: 33.3% (124)