UNCG (6-22, 6-11) at Davidson (16-13, 9-8)
Belk Arena • Davidson, N.C.
Feb. 26, 2011 • Game 29 • 2 p.m.
Radio: WCOG 1320-AM (Scott Pryzwansky & Stan Lewter)
Internet: Davidson All-Access (subscription required)
• UNCG will wrap up the regular season and its two-game road trip on Saturday as the Spartans take on Davidson at 2 p.m. in Belk Arena.
• The Wildcats lead the all-time series against the Spartans, 19-8, dating back to 1998. Earlier this season, the Spartans defeated Davidson, 77-69, in the Greensboro Coliseum. In that contest, Trevis Simpson came off the bench and delivered a career-high 33 points on 12-15 shooting from the field. Prior to that win, UNCG hadn't defeated the the Wildcats in nine-straight meetings and had only one win in the previous 17 contests.
• On Thursday, UNCG traveled to Georgia Southern and came away with a 57-56 come-from-behind victory. The Spartans, who trailed the entire contest except for the final 17 seconds, came away with a steal with 22 seconds left and then Kyle Randall found Aaron Brackett who buried a jumper from the right wing with 17 seconds to go. UNCG came up with one final stop in the waning seconds to preserve the victory. Evans had a game-high 20 points for UNCG.
• The Wildcats come into the contest at 16-13 overall and 9-8 in the SoCon. Davidson has won eight of its last nine contests coming in to Saturday's game. On Thursday, the Wildcats took down Elon, 83-75, behind a career-high 29 points from Nik Cochran. JP Kuhlman also added a season-high 22 points in the winning effort.
• On Monday night, UNCG hosted Western Carolina for Senior Night, but fell to the Catamounts, 70-66. The Spartans, who trailed by as many as 15 points in the second half, came back to take the lead with just over three minutes remaining. With the scored tied at 66, the Catamounts drove to the lane and drew a foul with 2.3 seconds remaining and knocked down the subsequent free throws. Brandon Evans, who was honored before the game as the lone senior, led UNCG in the contest with a game-high 23 points on 7-11 shooting.
• The scoring for UNCG this season seems to come from a different scorer every night. The Spartans have had an amazing seven different players score 23 or more points in a single game this season. Korey Van Dussen and Trevis Simpson have scored 33 in a game, while Brandon Evans and Aaron Brackett have added 28 in contests this year. Aloysius Henry had 26 in a game, Cole had 24 points against Citadel and Kyle Randall scored 23 earlier this season.
• UNCG has nearly five scorers who average double figure points. Evans leads the team at 11.6 ppg, while Trevis Simpson (11.2) is also in double figures despite only starting in six games. Kyle Randall (9.6), Aloysius Henry (9.5) and Korey Van Dussen (9.2) aren't far behind as they all average over nine points.
• Over the past 10 games, Brandon Evans has been a force to be recogned with. Over the stretch, Evans has averaged 18.6 points per game and has scored 20 of more points in six of the 10 contests. He has also been efficient from the free throw line during that time by going 60-69 from the charity stripe for an 87 percent clip.
• UNCG was winless in its first 15 outings this season after facing six ACC opponents and very tough teams in Richmond and VCU. The 0-15 start by the Spartans marked the worst start in school history, breaking the record set by the 1967-68 and 1968-69 teams, which both started 0-7.
UNCG vs. Davidson - Davidson leads 19-8
Feb. 19, 2008 L 66-75 Davidson, N.C.
March 9, 2008 L 52-82 Davidson, N.C. (SoCon)
Feb. 5, 2009 L 54-75 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Feb. 25, 2009 L 49-70 Davidson, N.C.
Feb. 24, 2010 L 56-60 Davidson, N.C.
Jan. 17, 2011 W 77-69 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Breaking it all down:
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 71.4 (105)
Rebounds: 11.5 (163)
Assists: 11.6 (275)
FG%: 43.1% (209)
FT%: 68.9% (174)
3P%: 36.5% (83)
Points: 81.5 (343)
Rebounds: 22.0 (283)
Assists: 15.0 (314)
FG%: 48.3% (339)
FT%: 70.9% (272)
3P%: 38.8% (336)
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 71.5 (103)
Rebounds: 12.4 (85)
Assists: 12.5 (206)
FG%: 43.4% (183)
FT%: 72.9% (59)
3P%: 34.6% (161)
Points: 67.6 (170)
Rebounds: 24.1 (130)
Assists: 10.0 (12)
FG%: 43.2% (176)
FT%: 69.2% (184)
3P%: 33.9% (160)