Miami (Fla.) (15-10, 4-7 ACC) at UNCG (5-19, 5-9 SoCon)
Greensboro Coliseum • Greensboro, N.C.
Feb. 17, 2011 • Game 25 • 7 p.m.
Radio: WCOG 1320-AM (Scott Pryzwansky & Rick Duckett)
Internet: Spartan All Access
• UNCG returns home on Tuesday for its final nonconference game of the season as the Spartans host Miami (Fla.) at 7 p.m. in the Greensboro Coliseum. The game will mark the seventh ACC opponent for the Spartans this season.
• The game on Tuesday will mark the first matchup between the two schools.
• On Saturday afternoon, the Spartans travel to College of Charleston and fell to the Cougars, 87-69. The game was tight throughout the first 24 minutes as the teams were tied and swapped the lead 14 times combined, but CofC went on a 26-6 over a 10+ minute span to seize control of the game. Trevis Simpson led UNCG with 17 points, while Brandon Evans had 14 points, all in the first half.
• The Hurricanes come into the contest on at 15-10 overall after falling to Duke, 81-71, on Sunday evening. Prior to that game, Miami had won its previous three games. In fact, the eight games prior to the Duke game had all been decided by four points or less. In that eight game stretch, the Hurricanes went 4-4 and the games were decided by a total of 17 points. The Canes currently sit in eighth place in the ACC with a 4-7 mark in the league.
• Last Monday night, UNCG came out victorious at home as it defeated The Citadel, 86-74. Brian Cole had 20 of his career-high 24 points in the first half to give UNCG a 48-36 lead at the break. Kyle Randall added 20 points on 8-10 shooting, while Trevis Simpson and Aaron Brackett were also in double figures with 15 and 12 points, respectively.
• The scoring for UNCG this season seems to come from a different scorer every night. The Spartans have had an amazing seven different players score 23 or more points in a single game this season. Korey Van Dussen and Trevis Simpson have scored 33 in a game, while Brandon Evans and Aaron Brackett have added 28 in contests this year. Aloysius Henry had 26 in a game, Cole had 24 points last Monday and Kyle Randall scored 23 earlier this season.
• Last Saturday, UNCG traveled up to Western Carolina and dropped an 83-73 decision. Brandon Evans led UNCG with 21 points, while Aaron Brackett added 14 points and 10 rebounds. The Spartans used a 15-0 run in the second half to make it a one-point game with 8 minutes left, but the Catamounts pulled away late for the win.
• Despite only starting in three games, Trevis Simpson now leads the Spartans in scoring with 11.2 ppg. Brandon Evans is third in the conference in 3-point percentage at 46.1% from behind the arc and would be tied for eighth nationally, but he fails to reach to NCAA minimum of 2.5 3-point field goals made per game.
• UNCG has four scorers who average double figure points. Simpson leads the team at 11.2 ppg, while Brandon Evans (10.5), Kyle Randall (10.3), and Aloysius Henry (10.0) are also in double figures. Korey Van Dussen isn't far behind as he averages 9.8 points per game.
• UNCG was winless in its first 15 outings this season after facing six ACC opponents and very tough teams in Richmond and VCU. The 0-15 start by the Spartans marked the worst start in school history, breaking the record set by the 1967-68 and 1968-69 teams, which both started 0-7.
UNCG vs. Miami (Fla.) - First Meeting
Breaking it all down:
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 72.0 (101)
Rebounds: 11.4 (175)
Assists: 12.5 (205)
FG%: 43.3% (190)
FT%: 67.8% (210)
3P%: 38.0% (45)
Points: 82.5 (343)
Rebounds: 22.2 (272)
Assists: 15.3 (318)
FG%: 48.6% (340)
FT%: 71.0% (278)
3P%: 38.0% (323)
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 72.6 (89)
Rebounds: 12.1 (120)
Assists: 11.6 (277)
FG%: 44.6% (130)
FT%: 73.4% (49)
3P%: 38.2% (39)
Points: 68.6 (198)
Rebounds: 24.2 (128)
Assists: 12.5 (147)
FG%: 42.0% (122)
FT%: 69.7% (219)
3P%: 33.7% (150)