UNCG to host No. 1 Duke on ESPNU
No. 1 Duke (11-0) at UNCG (0-11)
Greensboro Coliseum • Greensboro, N.C.
Dec. 29, 2010 • Game 12
TV: ESPNU (HD) (Rob Stone & Jay Williams)
Radio: WCOG 1320-AM (Scott Pryzwansky & Stan Lewter)
Internet: Spartan All Access (Free audio) / LiveStats: UNCGSpartans.com
• UNCG returns from the holidays to face its toughest test of the season at the Spartans host No. 1 Duke on Wednesday at 7 p.m. The game will mark the sixth ACC opponent the Spartans have faced this season, with a matchup against Miami (Fla.) still looming in February, and the fourth ACC opponent in the last five games.
• The Spartans have dropped all eight meetings with the Blue Devils, including an 96-62 setback last season in the season-opener for the Spartans in Durham. The game will mark just the third time the teams have met in Greensboro, with all of the meetings coming in the Greensboro Coliseum.
• Wednesday's game marks the third time that the Spartans have faced the top-ranked team in the nation, with the prior two meetings also coming against Duke. The first time was back in 1997 as UNCG fell to No. 1 Duke, 93-57. The two sides also met with Duke being ranked No. 1 in 2005 as the Spartans fell 102-69 in the Greensboro Coliseum.
• Last Wednesday, the Spartans returned home for the first time since Dec. 6 and fell to Richmond 63-53. UNCG cut the Spider lead to five with six minutes remaining, but weren't able to get any closer. Trevis Simpson was in double figures for the second-straight game with 14 points to lead the Spartans.
• On Dec. 19, the Spartans traveled down to Clemson to face their fifth ACC opponent of the season. The Tigers jumped out to a 21-point halftime lead before UNCG came out with a 7-0 run to start the second half and a 16-0 run midway through the half to pull within two. The Tigers responded with a 15-2 run to pull away late.
• On Dec. 15, UNCG nearly recorded its first win of the season as the Spartans narrowly fell on the road to Wake Forest, 69-67. The Spartans had a chance to tie the game on a free throw with 12 seconds left and win the game on a shot in the final seconds, but UNCG couldn't convert either opportunity.
• UNCG is winless in its 11 outings, having already faced five ACC opponents and very tough Richmond and VCU teams. The road doesn't get any easier until after the New Year as the Spartans will face defending National Champion No. 1 Duke. The 0-11 start by the Spartans marks the worst start in school history, breaking the record set by the 1967-68 and 1968-69 teams, which both started 0-7.
• Junior College transfer Aloysius Henry has provided an immediate spark in the post for the Spartans. He currently leads the team in scoring (11.6 ppg) and is also first in rebounding (6.1 rpg), while shooting 48.0% from the field.
• The Spartans have had a considerably new look over the last two seasons. In fact, just one person in uniform today was in uniform in the 2008-09 opener at Charlotte – Elhanan Bone. Brandon Evans was sitting out after transferring from East Carolina and Darrius Sellers was injured.
UNCG vs. Duke - Duke leads 8-0
Nov. 29, 1995 L 57-71 Durham, N.C.
Jan. 15, 1997 L 47-89 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Dec. 3, 1997 L 57-93 Durham, N.C.
Dec. 30, 1998 L 58-104 Durham, N.C.
Nov. 27, 2004 L 44-98 Durham, N.C.
Dec. 31, 2005 L 69-102 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Nov. 16, 2006 L 48-75 Durham, N.C.
Nov. 13, 2009 L 62-96 Durham, N.C.
Breaking it all down:
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 66.1 (244)
Rebounds: 12.9 (95)
Assists: 11.5 (281)
FG%: 40.7% (282)
FT%: 66.8% (215)
3P%: 35.5% (126)
Points: 84.4 (342)
Rebounds: 19.8 (339)
Assists: 17.1 (341)
FG%: 51.1% (345)
FT%: 69.3% (221)
3P%: 40.7% (336)
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 89.0 (3)
Rebounds: 11.2 (222)
Assists: 17.9 (14)
FG%: 50.0% (6)
FT%: 74.3% (30)
3P%: 44.0% (3)
Points: 63.2 (76)
Rebounds: 27.0 (39)
Assists: 11.9 (115)
FG%: 40.2% (72)
FT%: 59.7% (5)
3P%: 32.0% (104)