CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – No. 1 seed UNC Greensboro softball (31-21) scored nine unanswered runs to defeat No. 5 ETSU (21-26-2) in five innings Thursday afternoon at Jim Frost Stadium. The Spartans scored six runs in the third inning to claim the run-rule victory.
Nice start to the @SoConSports Tourney as we score 9️⃣ unanswered runs to run-rule No. 5 seed ETSU!! @mmarisasholtes led the way with a 3-run HR & another RBI-hit. @StephBryden_03 pitched a complete game with 3 K's #letsgoG pic.twitter.com/0NFLkJ4V4v— UNCG Softball (@UNCGSoftball) May 9, 2019
UNCG had a pair of runs in the second inning to take the lead. Melanie Darges led off with a single to the shortstop, and Monica Pepe dropped a single on the left field line. After both advanced on a sac bunt by Delaney Cumbie, Marisa Sholtes knocked in both baserunners with a single to right field.
In the next inning Katie Stettler was hit by a pitch with one out, and Kamryn Graves walked on four-straight balls. With two outs, pinch-hitter Kayleigh Willis brought home Stettler on an RBI-single to centerfield. Cumbie followed with another RBI-single to left field. Sholtes then hit a three-run homer with a shot to centerfield, her 15th of the year. Stephanie Bryden made it back-to-back home runs for the Spartans with a solo blast to left field, her second of the year.
The Bucs scored first in their first trip to the plate, capitalizing off a wild pitch followed by a fielding error that allowed the baserunner to score from second base.
UNCG responded with a run of its own in the bottom of the inning. Cumbie led off with a single through the left side. With two outs, Gabi Howard drew a walk. Makenna Matthijs knocked in Bryden from second base on an RBI-single to left center.
UNCG returns to action Friday at approximately 11:30 a.m. against the host school, No. 3 Chattanooga. The winner of the game will advance to the championship game with a loss to spare.
News and Notes
- Bryden (23-10) threw her 21st complete game of the year, allowing no earned runs, one hit and two walks with three strikeouts.
- Bryden tied Christine Hornak (1997-98) for the fourth-most career wins in program history with 52.
- With her 23rd victory of the year, Bryden tied Lorri Parrot (1990) and Erin Chandler (1995) for the fourth-most wins in a single-season.
With her 3-run blast to CF, @mmarisasholtes moved into 3rd place in program history with 4️⃣1️⃣ career homers!! Sholtes has 15 on the year, which is now the 5th-most in a single season by a Spartan #letsgoG pic.twitter.com/6VC6iHPApX— UNCG Softball (@UNCGSoftball) May 9, 2019
- Sholtes finished 2-3 at the plate with five RBIs.
- With a walk, Howard has tied Nicole Thomas (2014) for the third-most walks in a season-season with 37.
- Cumbie went 2-2 with a run and RBI as the only other Spartan with more than one hit.
-- UNCG –