GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro softball (23-12, 6-2) defeated Furman (10-24, 2-6) twice with 9-0 (six innings) and 4-1 wins Saturday at Pepsi Stadium. Stephanie Bryden (16-6) threw a one-hit shutout in game one with eight strikeouts and no walks, and Kylie Bouplon (6-4) followed with a complete game of her own with one run, four hits and two walks allowed along with seven strikeouts.
UNCG took the lead for good in its first trip to the plate of the first game. Leadoff batter Makenna Matthijs was hit by a pitch and went to second base on a sac bunt by Delaney Cumbie. After a Marisa Sholtes’ walk, a wild pitch and passed ball allowed Matthijs to score.
The Spartans scored five runs in the sixth inning to enforce the run-rule. The bases were loaded with no outs when Matthijs led off with a single to left field, Cumbie singled through the left side and Sholtes walked. Howard and pinch-hitter Rachel Johnson were both hit-by-pitches for two runs. Katie Stettler reached on an RBI-fielder’s choice. Darges then hit an RBI-single off the pitcher up the middle, and pinch-hitter Samantha Lagrama followed with an RBI-groundout to the pitcher.
After Furman scored in the first inning of the next game, UNCG scored four unanswered runs for the victory. The Spartans tied it up in the third inning. Monica Pepe led off with a walk, stole second base, advanced to third base on a sac bunt by Johnson and scored on an RBI-single to right center by Matthijs.
Stettler knocked in the game-winning run on a leadoff homer that just got over the right fielder’s glove in the sixth inning, her fourth of the season.
The Spartans added a pair of insurance runs in the last inning. Johnson and Matthijs both drew walks to start the inning and advanced on a sac bunt by Cumbie. Matthijs scored on a wild pitch, and pinch-runner Breanna Butcher went home safely on an RBI-single by Howard that bounced off the third base bag.
UNCG looks for the sweep Sunday at 1 p.m.
News and Notes
- With her 45th career win, Bryden moved ahead of Raeanne Hanks (2010-14) for seventh-most wins in program history.
- Bryden has thrown three one-hit shutouts this year (Elon on March 16 and Samford in five innings on March 23).
- Bryden threw her eighth-straight and 13th complete game of the year.
- Bryden has made six starts with no walks allowed, including her last start Wednesday in a 2-1 win over NC State.
- Bryden is 9-1 in her last 10 appearances with all but one as complete games.
- Bouplon has thrown four complete games in her last five starts.
- The seven strikeouts tied for the second-most by Bouplon this year.
- The Spartans have won 11 of their last 13 games.
- UNCG has won six-straight against Furman by a combined score of 51-2.
- UNCG finished 9-25 from the plate in the first game with eight walks and three hit-by-pitches. In both games combined the Spartans had 14 walks.
- Howard was 3-4 at the plate with two RBI’s, three walks and a hit-by-pitch.
- Matthijs was the only other Spartan with three hits along with four RBI, a walk and hit-by-pitch.
- Darges and Stettler had a pair of hits. Darges also drew two walks, and Stettler had two RBI’s.
-- UNCG –