GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro women’s basketball (10-17, 4-8 Southern Conference) hosts Chattanooga (12-15, 7-5) Thursday at 7 p.m. to begin the final week of the regular season.
Five Facts to Know
- Sitting in a tie for sixth place in the SoCon standings, the Spartans’ seed for the upcoming 2019 Ingles Southern Conference Women’s Basketball Championships presented by General Shale is undetermined as they could finish the season fifth, sixth or seventh. ETSU (6-6) is two games ahead and will face UNCG on Saturday in the season finale. Samford is tied with UNCG and plays Wofford and Furman this week.
- The Spartans lead the SoCon in scoring defense (60.5 points per game), rebounding margin (+3.1) and defensive rebounding percentage (.710).
- Nadine Soliman ranks in the conference second in scoring (19.0 points per game) and made three’s per game (2.4) and third in rebounding (7.3 rebounds per game) and defensive rebounds per game (5.8).
-Soliman has recorded 1,500 points in her career and needs 86 more points to move into second place ahead of Angie Polk (1985-89).
- UNCG has recorded 17 double-doubles by four different Spartans, led by Te'ja Twitty (seven) and Soliman (six). Twitty has recorded 18 double-doubles in her career to tie for third-most in school history.
- The Spartans are 8-3 this season at Fleming Gymnasium and have won three of five games against SoCon opponents. They’re outscoring opponents by an average of 18.2 points (67.9-49.7) with a rebounding margin of +5.7.
The Spartans in 2018-19
UNCG played just once last week, winning 66-42 at Western Carolina Saturday to earn the series sweep. The Spartans had two wins by double-digits against the Catamounts with a 71-59 win on Jan. 26. It was also the first true road victory for UNCG this season.
The trio of Soliman, Twitty and Aja Boyd have ranked among the top scorers and rebounders in the SoCon. Besides her strong scoring and rebounding, Soliman is third in free throw percentage (.800), sixth in three-point field goal percentage (.357) and ninth in steals (1.6 per game).
Twitty has done more damage on the offensive glass, ranking second (3.5 per game) in the category. She’s second in overall rebounding (7.8 rpg), third in field goal percentage (.520), fifth in defensive rebounds (4.3 per game), seventh in scoring (12.9 ppg) and 10th in free throw percentage (.692). Boyd is right behind Twitty for third in offensive rebounding (3.0) and places fifth in rebounding (6.7 rpg) and steals (1.7 per game), tied for sixth in blocks (0.9 per game), 11th in field goal percentage (.444) and 14th in scoring (9.9 ppg).
Chattanooga leads the series 44-8. The Mocs won on their home court 64-54 earlier this year on Feb. 1. Chattanooga swept the regular season series last year, but the Spartans avenged the losses with a thrilling 70-66 double-overtime win in the quarterfinals of the SoCon Tournament.
-- UNCG –