GREENSBORO, N.C. - After opening the fall season with 17 wins in Elon earlier this month, UNCG women's tennis returns to Conway, S.C. to compete in the Coastal Carolina-hosted Battle at the Beach/Lynn Stevens Memorial Classic.
The Spartans open Friday with a doubles matchup against East Carolina, before moving on to singles play against Campbell and Coastal Carolina. Saturday will kickoff with back-to-back doubles matches against the Chanticleers and Camels, before taking on the Pirates in singles later in the day.
Where: Conway, S.C. | Stevens Tennis Complex
Day 1: Friday September 27th | 9 a.m.
• This will be the fifth year in a row the Spartans have travelled to Coastal Carolina in the fall, competing against CCU, East Carolina and Campbell in last year's tournament
• UNCG took 19 match wins overall in that 2018 tournament, with Erika Barquero earning victories in all but one of her six singles and doubles matches on the weekend
• The Spartans opened the fall season at the Elon Fall Invitational last week, earning 17 wins over the three-day affair
• After losing their opening singles matches at Elon, Adriana Chan, Erika Barquero and Brianna Gomez all rebounded with back-to-back wins to finish the weekend
• Gomez tallied a team-high 11 singles wins this last spring, while Barquero and Sophia Adams each collected 10
• Barquero also had nine wins over her doubles appearances, with eight of those wins coming in the top pairing
• In addition to the Chanticleers, the Spartans will also be facing off with athletes from Campbell University and East Carolina
• The Pirates lost just three competitions the entire 2019 spring season, defeating Campbell, CCU and UNCG by scores of 7-0, 4-0 and 6-1 respectively
-- UNCG –