GREENSBORO, N.C. - UNCG men's tennis hosts the first of two home invites scheduled for this fall season, with the UNCG Fall Invitational returning to the Spartans' campus this Friday through Sunday.
Singles play will kick off at 1:30 p.m. on Friday with the Spartans matching up with Radford in the opening stages. Doubles matches are currently scheduled for a 5 p.m. first serve, where UNCG will face off with the visiting ECU Pirates. In addition to Radford and ECU, in-state rival Campbell is expected to be in attendance this weekend, along with James Madison and USC Upstate.
• This will be the first time in the past two years the Spartans will be hosting a fall invitational, and one of two tournaments expected to take place at UNCG this year
• The UNCG Fall Invitational is the first to take place on campus since 2011, with the Spartans hosting the Spartan Invitational back in September of 2017
• The Spartans return all but one of their eight athletes to compete last spring, with UNCG alum Ian Melnik graduating this past summer
• Returning junior Nico Grewe recorded a team best 11 singles wins the previous season, going 7-2 when playing in the second seed
• UNCG finished the regular season as a No. 7 seed in the SoCon, falling to No. 2 Furman in the Southern Conference Championship quarterfinals
• Grewe and Ollie Palmer recorded 12 doubles match wins during the spring, with Palmer's 10 singles victories trailing only his doubles partner for a team-high
• Campbell and Radford expect to be two of the top teams in the Big South this next year, after the Highlanders defeated the Camels 4-2 in the 2019 conference tournament final
• The Spartans defeated Upstate, JMU and Radford during the spring regular season, but dropped their matchup with East Carolina in mid-March
-- UNCG –