Men's Tennis Dominates at The Citadel, 7-0
CHARLESTON, S.C. – UNCG men’s tennis earned a dominating 7-0 victory over The Citadel Bulldogs Sunday afternoon at the Earle Tennis Center. UNCG swept the doubles and singles competitions and two singles match went into a third set. The Spartans improve to 9-9 on the season and 2-3 in Southern Conference play. The Citadel falls to 9-22 and 0-5 in the SoCon.
Doubles play saw the Spartans earn wins at all three flights. Connor Thompson and Nico Grewe earned a 6-2 win over Noah Nawabi and Gavin Stewart, 6-2 at No. 1. Logan Walker paired with Marcus Vidgren for a 6-3 win at No. 2 and Ollie Palmer and Jack Burkill completed the sweep with a 6-4 win at No. 3.
Singles play featured a similar trend. Thompson defeated Matthew Henson, 6-0, 6-2 at No. 1 with Palmer earning a 6-4, 6-2 win over Willem van Zyl at No. 2. Vidgren added another win over Nawabi, 7-5, 7-5 to clinch the victory. Grewe notched a 6-4, 7-5 win over Jack Pyritz, 6-4, 7-5 at No. 4. Daniel Hammarstedt dropped the first set to Stewart 1-6 before winning the final two sets for the point. Ian Melnik faced a similar situation, dropping the first set at No. 6 before winning the final two and completing the sweep.
- Connor Thompson (UNCG) def. Matthew Henson (CIT) 6-0, 6-2
- Ollie Palmer (UNCG) def. Willem van Zyl (CIT) 6-4, 6-2
- Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) def. Noah Nawabi (CIT) 7-5, 7-5
- Nico Grewe (UNCG) def. Jack Pyritz (CIT) 6-4, 7-5
- Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG) def. Gavin Stewart (CIT) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Ian Melnik (UNCG) def. Roy Hobson (CIT) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
- Connor Thompson/Nico Grewe (UNCG-M) def. Noah Nawabi/Gavin Stewart (CIT) 6-2
- Logan Walker/Marcus Vidgren (UNCG-M) def. Will Graham/Matthew Henson (CIT) 6-3
- Ollie Palmer/Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) def. Willem van Zyl/Trey Davis (CIT) 6-4
UNCG 9-9, 2-3 SoCon
The Citadel 9-22, 0-5 SoCon
The men’s tennis team is back in action Tuesday as it heads to Southern Conference foe, Wofford for a matchup at 2 p.m.