Men's Tennis Rolls Gardner-Webb for its Third-Straight Victory
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis rolled over Gardner-Webb, 6-1 Sunday afternoon at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center. The Spartans didn’t drop a singles match in the victory and have outscored their opponents 19-2 in the last three matches. UNCG improves to 3-1 on the season, while Gardner-Webb falls to 3-5.
The Gardner-Webb Bulldogs won No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to earn the first and only point. Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) and Ian Melnik (Lawrenceville, Ga./Rivers Academy) fell to Stefano Puga and Paul Hogan at No. 1, 6-2. Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) and Nico Grewe (Raleigh, N.C./Wakefield) dropped the No. 3 match to Max Scholl and Breno Plentz, 6-4. Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) and Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) earned a 7-6 (1) victory at No. 2 doubles to prevent the sweep.
In singles play, the Spartans swept all six competitions. Daniel Hammarstedt (Stockholm, Sweden/Ava Gymnasium) evened the match with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Adam Schmidt at No. 4. Thompson followed with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Max Scholl who was ranked as the 98th-best player in the country. Burkill gave UNCG a 3-1 lead after defeating Puga, 6-3, 6-4 at No. 6. Ollie Palmer (Twyning, Great Britain/St. Peter’s) clinched the match with a three-set victory over Hogan at No. 3. UNCG went on to sweep with Vidgren and Melnik earning wins at No. 2 and 5, respectively.
- Connor Thompson (UNCG) def. #98 SCHOLL, Maximilian (GWU) 6-3, 6-2
- Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) def. HURRION, Millen (GWU) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (2-0)
- Ollie Palmer (UNCG) def. HOGAN, Paul (GWU) 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
- Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG) def. SCHMIDT, Adam (GWU) 6-1, 6-2
- Ian Melnik (UNCG) def. PLENTZ, Breno (GWU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
- Jack Burkill (UNCG) def. PUGA, Stefano (GWU) 6-3, 6-4
- PUGA, Stefano/HOGAN, Paul (GWU) def. Connor Thompson/Ian Melnik (UNCG) 6-2
- Marcus Vidgren/Jack Burkill (UNCG) def. SCHMIDT, Adam/HURRION, Millen (GWU) 7-6 (1-0)
- SCHOLL, Maximilian/PLENTZ, Breno (GWU) def. Logan Walker/Nico Grewe (UNCG) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,1,6,3,2,5)
UNCG is back in action this Saturday as they host the Winthrop Eagles at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center at 1 p.m.