GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro faces Winthrop (23-22, 12-9 Big South) at home Wednesday at 4 p.m. in the final nonconference game of the regular season. The game will be streamed on ESPN3.
Five Facts to Know
- Marisa Sholtes ranks fourth in career home runs (39) in program history and needs just one more homer to tie Katelyn Bedwell (2011-14) for third place after hitting a pair of homers in a doubleheader last Saturday. She ranks second in career slugging percentage (.670) and sixth in career RBIs with 126. She is also tied for the sixth-most homers by a Spartan in a single-season with Penny Thompson (2002), Lindsay Thomas (2014), Nicole Thomas (2014) and teammate Jordan Gontram (2018).
- Sholtes ranks in the Southern Conference tied for first in doubles (10), second in slugging percentage (.713) and homers (13), tied for third in total bases (87) and tied for fourth in RBI’s (35). In the nation she is 26th in homers per game (0.33) and 88th in slugging percentage (0.713).
- UNCG has been one of the best power-hitting teams in the SoCon, leading the conference in home runs (51), slugging percentage (.448), doubles (67) and total bases (557) in addition to walks (153). In the nation the Spartans are 39th in home runs per game (1.09), 65th in slugging percentage and 73rd in doubles per game (1.43).
- Stephanie Bryden ranks third all-time in career strikeouts in school history at 513, becoming the third Spartan to reach the 500-strikeout plateau. She moved ahead of Amber Watson (2000-03) for the fifth-most career wins in program history at 49 last Sunday.
- Bryden has already recorded the third-most strikeouts in a single season with 206 and is on pace to break the record of 262 by Christine Hornak (1997). She is tied with volunteer coach Alicia Bazonski (2018) for the eighth-most wins in a single-season with 20.
The Spartans This Season
UNCG enters the game with a 28-18, 10-4 record and three-game winning streak after sweeping Mercer on the road last weekend. The Spartans wrapped up road Southern Conference play with a perfect 9-0 record with three series sweeps, becoming the second team in program history to be undefeated in road league play (8-0 in the Big South in 1995). UNCG is tied with Samford for first place in the league standings and a game and half ahead of Chattanooga (9-6).
Kylie Bouplon and Bryden have been UNCG’s main two pitchers as both have made at least 17 starts and 23 appearances and have combined to place the Spartans 19th in the country in strikeout-to-walk ratio (3.37). In the SoCon, Bouplon ranks fifth in ERA (3.14), fourth in strikeouts (78) and sixth in lowest opposing batting average (.274). Bryden leads the league in wins, strikeouts, opposing batting average (.212) and is fourth in ERA (2.70) and strikeouts looking (42). In the nation, Bryden ranks 19th in strikeouts, 21st in wins, 30th in strikeout-to-walk ratio (5.28), 42nd in strikeouts per seven innings (8.2), 84th in walks allowed per seven innings (1.55) and 98th in hits allowed per seven innings (5.65).
Freshmen Delaney Cumbie and Gabi Howard have made big impacts for the Spartans. Cumbie leads the SoCon in on-base percentage (.478) and is tied for first in doubles (10), second in walks (28), fifth in fielding percentage (.990) and sixth in batting average (.339) and slugging percentage (.580). Howard leads the league in walks (29) and is fifth in on-base percentage (.439), sixth in homers (eight) and 10th in slugging percentage (.527).
The Spartans lead the all-time series 17-11. Under seven-year head coach Janelle Breneman, UNCG has won the only matchup between the two schools, 4-3 on March 11, 2013 in the Spartan Classic.
UNCG concludes the regular season with a three-game, home series against ETSU starting with a doubleheader Saturday at 1 p.m.
-- UNCG –