GREENSBORO, N.C. - Helping to extend her team's winning streak to three this past Sunday, UNCG women's soccer freshman Gabi Santora clinches her first Southern Conference Player of the Week honor, after collecting two goals and an assist in the Spartans' recent victories over Elon and East Carolina.
Freshman | Forward/Midfield | Boca Raton, Fla.
• First career Southern Conference Player of the Week honor
• Collected five points over two match wins against East Carolina and Elon
• Scored a brace against the Phoenix, including the game-winner
• Assisted on the Spartans' game-winning tally against the Pirates
• Has six points over UNCG's current three-match winning streak, and a team-high of seven for the season
Opening up her career scoring against Elon last Thursday, Santora scored a go-ahead goal for the Spartans in the 42nd minute off a direct free kick. After seeing the Phoenix delete UNCG's one-goal advantage three different times, Santora completed her side's 4-3 win with a game-winning strike from 30 yards out in the 87th minute. The freshman's week wouldn't be complete until adding her seventh point of the season against East Carolina however. With the Spartans and Pirates locked in a defensive battle, Santora's corner delivery to Kayla Campbell led to the winning goal of Sunday's contest, to put UNCG on a three-match win streak going into conference play this Friday.
COMING UP NEXT
SoCon play officially begins on Friday the 27th as the Spartans host visiting Citadel at 7 p.m. UNCG has never lost to the Bulldogs over 18 matchups all-time, with the Citadel getting outscored 87-9 since the pair's first meeting in 2001.
-- UNCG –