GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro men’s soccer faces No. 20 North Carolina at home Monday at 7 p.m.
The game will be streamed on ESPN+. Links for the stream and live stats are available at UNCGSpartans.com.
@UNCG students come out to the @uncgsga Community Cookout as @UNCGMensSoccer— UNCG Promotions (@UNCGPromotions) September 6, 2019
hosts North Carolina Monday at 7 pm! First 200 students to donate at leat two canned goods receive access to the cookout. Community Cookout begins at 6 pm.
FREE ADMISSION! #letsgoG #UNCGCares pic.twitter.com/vkjfzK8rm3
All-Time Series Vs. North Carolina
- Own a 3-9-1 record against the Tar Heels.
- Last year’s home matchup against North Carolina on Sept. 18 at home was cancelled due to the weather from Hurricane Florence.
- Enters the game with a 1-2-0 record after splitting a pair of games in the opening weekend, defeating George Washington 2-0 at home and falling 4-3 in overtime at Radford, and then dropping a 2-1 decision at No. 19 Clemson Friday night.
- Goalkeeper Ricky Zarri has seen every minute of action with a 1.97 goals against average and 15 saves.
- The Chris Rich Era has begun in Greensboro. Rich was announced as head coach for the Spartans on July 30. He spent the past 12 years as an assistant coach, including his three most recent stops being at ACC schools in Duke, North Carolina and Virginia Tech.
- Has 14 newcomers on the roster with 11 freshmen and three transfers. 11 letterwinners return, including four starters, from last year’s team that went 8-9-2, 2-2-2 with its second-straight trip to the SoCon Championship Game.
Last Time Out-UNCG
- Battled Clemson tough in a 2-1 loss with the Tigers scoring two first half goals.
- Pedra scored the Spartans’ lone goal in the 33rd minute, heading in a ball off a cross from Albert.
- Tigers held the advantage in shots (13-8) and corner kicks (6-5). In the second half, the Spartans had all five of their corner kicks and outshot Clemson 6-5.
Scouting North Carolina
- Notched its first win of the year Friday at home against Harvard (6-0) after losing to then-No. 15 UCF 2-1 and tying RV Creighton 2-2.
- Have outshot opponents 64-25 with a .516 shot on goal percentage and hold a distinct advantage in corner kicks 20-6.
- Junior forward Alex Rose leads the team in scoring with three goals, one in each game, and two assists. Senior midfielder Jack Skahan is second on the squad in points with two goals.
- Starting sophomore goalkeeper Alec Smir has made eight saves with a .667 save percentage and 1.24 goals against average.
- Tabbed as the ACC preseason favorite in the coaches’ poll with seven starters and 15 letterwinners returning from last year’s squad that went 14-4-1 and earned the No. 5 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament. Senior midfielder/defender Mauricio Pineda was selected to the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List.
-- UNCG –