GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro men’s soccer opens its 2019 season at home Friday at 7 p.m. against George Washington.
The game will be streamed on ESPN+. Links for the stream and live stats are available at UNCGSpartans.com.
All-Time Series Vs. George Washington
- Split a pair of games against the Colonials.
- Won the first matchup in 1988, 2-1 in overtime, and fell 1-0 the following year.
- The Chris Rich Era begins in Greensboro. Rich was announced as head coach for the Spartans on July 30. This will also mark his debut as a head coach at the collegiate level. He spent the past 12 years as an assistant coach, including his three most recent stops being at ACC schools in Duke, North Carolina and Virginia Tech.
- Picked to finish fourth in the Southern Conference Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
- Went 8-9-2, 2-2-2 in 2018 with its second-straight trip to the SoCon Championship Game.
- Welcome 14 newcomers to the program with 11 freshmen and three transfers. 11 letterwinners return, including four starters.
- Junior forward Manny Apau is the leading returning scorer with three goals and seven points last year. Also among the returnees is 2017 SoCon Freshman of the Year and second-team all-conference member junior midfielder Nelson Oceano, who had a team-high four assists last year.
Scouting George Washington
- Picked to finish 11th in the 13-member Atlantic 10 Conference.
- Coming off a 5-9-3 overall season with a 1-5-2 record in league play to finish 12th in the standings.
- Return seven starters and nine other letterwinners from 2018 to pair with eight newcomers.
- Junior midfielder/forward Oscar Haynes Brown was named to the Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Conference Team. Last year Haynes Brown tallied 11 goals in 12 games to tie for first in the league in points (25) and earn a spot on the all-conference first-team.
- Senior Noah Lubin or freshman Justin Grady will make their first career start at goalkeeper with both goalkeepers from last year graduating.
-- UNCG –