GREENSBORO, N.C. - Coming off a 1-1 draw with a hosting Davidson squad, UNCG men's soccer will face its final test before starting Southern Conference next week, traveling to nearby High Point University for yet another Piedmont Triad Derby. This year's rendition will be the 26th installment of the pair's ongoing soccer rivalry, with the past four matchups being decided by a single goal.
This weekend's contest at Vert Stadium will be the third and final match of the Spartans' current road stint, coming back home to open SoCon play at VMI next Saturday. Coach Rich's side will face a Panthers club that boasts a 5-4-0 record under first-year head coach Zach Haines, and is coming off a 2018 campaign in which they ranked as high as 12th in the national polls.
• This will be the fourth time in the past five years that the Spartans and Panthers will matchup, with each of those contests ending with a goal differential of one
• UNCG is 14-11 against the Panthers all-time, despite taking a 3-2 loss to the side the previous season
• Senior defender Casey Penland scored his third goal of the year this past Tuesday, the game-tying tally in the Spartans' 1-1 draw at Davidson
• Fellow defender Aidan Wixted assisted on Penland's goal against the Wildcats, his first of the season. That makes 11 players on the current UNCG roster with one or more points to their name in 2019
• The Spartans' offense has been scoring two-goals per match over their previous four contests, after averaging 1.20 in the opening six games of the season
• Sophomore forward Micah Albert leads the Spartans with four goals on the year despite taking just 11 shots on the season, his .364 conversion rate is a team best
• UNCG's 14 goals on the year rank third in the Southern Conference and 67th in the country overall
• The Spartans will face one of the best keepers in the region this Saturday. Keegan Meyer's .804 save percentage ranks 27th in the country, despite facing close to 13 shots and over five shots on goal per match
• The Panthers (5-4-0) sit just a game over .500 at the moment, but have also taken losses to a pair of teams currently sitting within the top-10 of the most recent United Soccer Coaches Poll (No. 1 Virginia & No. 9 Charlotte)
COMING UP NEXT
With a week off before starting the Southern Conference season, UNCG will kickoff SoCon play against visiting VMI next Saturday, looking to beat the Keydets for a 19th consecutive time.
-- UNCG –