Women's Tennis Falls in SoCon Tournament Against College of Charleston, 4-0
ELON, N.C.– The UNCG women's tennis team conclude play at the Southern Conference Tournament after falling 4-0 to College of Charleston in the semi-final round Saturday, April 20 in Elon, N.C.
The Spartans dropped two out of three doubles matches, giving the Cougars the doubles point.
Seniors Niltooli Wilkins (Burnsville, Minn. / Homeschooled) and Alex Whitehead (Victoria, Australia / Star of the Sea College) picked up the lone doubles win for the Blue and Gold at No. 1 against Irene Viana and Katherine Schifield, 8-4.
Senior Annette Rios (Santa Ana, El Salvador / Liceo Latinoamericano) and sophomore Kayla Gammie (Port St. Lucie, Fla. / Broward Virtual School) lost 8-3 at No. 2 against Kelly Kambourelis and Jenny Falcone.
Sophomore Stephanie Falcon (Marietta, Ga. / Walton) and junior Dilara Yurtkuran (Istanbul, Turkey / Gunes Koleji) fought hard against Samantha Maddox and Christin Newman, but fell 9-7 at the No. 3 spot.
Gammie dueled Schofield but lost 6-1, 6-2 at No. 6, before Rios dropped her match at No. 4 against Falcone, 6-1, 6-2.
At No. 3, Whitehead fell to Brooke McAmis, 6-2, 6-2 to end the match.
Apr 20, 2013 at Elon, N.C. (Jimmy Powell Tennis Center)
College of Charleston 4, UNCG 0
1. Christin Newman (COFC) vs. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) 4-6, 1-2, unfinished
2. Kelly Kambourelis (COFC) vs. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
3. Brooke McAmis (COFC) def. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) 6-2, 6-2
4. Jenny Falcone (COFC) def. Annette Rios (UNCG) 6-1, 6-2
5. Samantha Maddox (COFC) vs. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) 6-3, 5-3, unfinished
6. Katherine Schofield (COFC) def. Kayla Gammie (UNCG) 6-1, 6-2
1. Niltooli Wilkins/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Irene Viana/Katherine Schofield (COFC) 8-4
2. Kelly Kambourelis/Jenny Falcone (COFC) def. Anette Rios/Kayla Gammie (UNCG) 8-3
3. Samantha Maddox/Christin Newman (COFC) def. Stephanie Falcon/Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) 9-7
College of Charleston 19-8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,4,3)
College of Charleston advances to the SoCon Women's Tennis Championship match
- UNCG -