Women's Tennis Defeats Appalachian State, 5-2
GREENSBORO, N.C. – The UNCG women's tennis team took down Southern Conference foe Appalachian State, 5-2 Tuesday, April 2 at the UNCG tennis courts. The Blue and Gold now hold an 11-5 record for the season and are 7-1 in the SoCon.
"Great win for us today," said head coach Jeff Trivette. "We had to come from behind on two courts to finish this match. We fought hard against a very good Appalachian State team. This is the type of match that you can gain a lot of confidence."
The Spartans dominated in doubles when they won all three matches to win the doubles point.
Senior Annette Rios (Santa Ana, El Salvador / Liceo Latinoamericano) and sophomore Kayla Gammie (Port St. Lucie, Fla. / Broward Virtual School) teamed up at No. 2 to beat Ellie Linsell and Brianna Armellino, 8-4.
In singles play, Rios picked up the first win easily against Ansari, 6-3, 6-2, while Yurtkuran dropped her match at No. 2 to Cox, 6-4, 6-2.
Falcon fought in three sets at No. 5 to win 6-1, 5-7, 6-2 against Jessica Thaggard, before Whitehead battled Armellino at No. 3 to clinch the match, 6-1, 5-7, 7-5.
Freshman Soumeya Anane (Coventry, Great Britain / Tile Hill Wood School) lost in a tough three sets at No. 6 against Celi, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, before Wilkins concluded the match with a close 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 victory at No. 1 against Linsell.
The Spartans will continue SoCon play when they travel to Greenville, S.C. to face Furman Saturday, April 6 at 1 p.m.
Appalachian State vs UNCG Apr 02, 2013 at UNCG
UNCG 5, Appalachian State 2
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Ellie Linsell (APP) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
2. Clare Cox (APP) def. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) 6-4, 6-2
3. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Brianna Armellino (APP) 6-1, 5-7, 7-5
4. Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Jennifer Ansari (APP) 6-3, 6-2
5. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) def. Jessica Thaggard (APP) 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
6. Gabriela Celi (APP) def. Soumeya Anane (UNCG) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
1. Niltooli Wilkins/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Clare Cox/Mackenzie LaSure (APP) 8-1
2. Kayla Gammie/Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Ellie Linsell/Brianna Armellino (APP) 8-4
3. Stephanie Falcon/Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Gabriela Celi/Jennifer Ansari (APP) 8-6
Appalachian State 11-7, 3-3 SoCon
UNCG 11-5, 7-1 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,2,5,3,6,1)
- UNCG -