Women's Tennis Upsets No. 73 Elon, 4-3
GREENSBORO, N.C. – The UNCG women's tennis team picked up a huge 4-3 victory over No. 73 Elon Thursday, March 14 at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
"We continue to find a way to win tough matches," said head coach Jeff Trivette. "All I ask of this team is that we improve after every match and we have gotten better each week. We need to stay focused on our goal of winning a conference championship."
The Spartans won two of three doubles matches to earn the doubles point.
Senior Annette Rios (Santa Ana, El Salvador / Liceo Latinoamericano) and sophomore Kayla Gammie (Port St. Lucie, Fla. / Broward Virtual School) fought at No. 2, but fell to Viviana Stavreva and Maria Camara Ruiz, 9-7.
In singles play, Yurtkuran dropped her match at No. 2 against Jansaker, 6-2, 6-2, while Freshman Soumeya Anane (Coventry, Great Britain / Tile Hill Wood School) lost 6-3, 6-3 to Ruiz at No. 6.
At No. 3 Whitehead won in three sets against Stavreva, 6-4, 4-6, 6-1, before Falcon beat Barbora Lazarova at No. 5 in a close 7-5, 7-5 match.
Rios fell to Khoury at No. 4, 7-5, 7-5.
The deciding match came down to Wilkins and Elon's Johnston at No. 1 singles where they dueled in a first-set tiebreaker. Wilkins came out on top, 7-6 (8-6) and then fought to win the second set, 7-5.
UNCG (7-4, 4-0) will return to action Saturday, March 16, when they travel to Boiling Springs, N.C. to play Gardner-Webb at 2 p.m.
UNCG vs Elon Mar 14, 2013 at Elon, N.C. (Jimmy Powell Tennis Center)
UNCG 4, #73 Elon 3
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Jordan Johnston (ELON) 7-6 (8-6), 7-5
2. Frida Jansaker (ELON) def. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) 6-2, 6-2
3. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Viviana Stavreva (ELON) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
4. Bryn Khoury (ELON) def. Anette Rios (UNCG) 7-6, 7-6
5. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) def. Barbora Lazarova (ELON) 7-5, 7-5
6. Maria Camara Ruiz (ELON) def. Soumeya Anane (UNCG) 6-3, 6-3
1. Niltooli Wilkins/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Frida Jansaker/Jordan Johnston (ELON) 8-0
2. Viviana Stavreva/Maria Camara Ruiz (ELON) def. Anette Rios/Kayla Gammie (UNCG) 9-7
3. Stephanie Falcon/Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Briana Berne/Bryn Khoury (ELON) 8-4
UNCG 7-4, 4-0 SoCon
Elon 11-3, 1-2 SoCon; National ranking #73
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,6,3,5,4,1)
- UNCG -