Women's Tennis Beats Wofford, 6-1
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The UNCG women's tennis team defeated the Wofford Terriers, 6-1 Sunday, April 7 advancing its overall record to 12-6 and 8-2 in the SoCon.
"It was good to finish our conference season on a high note," said head coach Jeff Trivette. "Now we are turning our focus on winning the tournament title."
The Blue and Gold picked up the doubles point when they won all three matches.
Senior Annette Rios (Santa Ana, El Salvador / Liceo Latinoamericano) and sophomore Kayla Gammie (Port St. Lucie, Fla. / Broward Virtual School) beat Julia Paulson and Lucy Schermerhorn in a close tiebreaker at No. 2, 8-7 (9-7).
In singles play, Gammie won her match at No. 6 against Schermerhorn, 6-4, 6-2, before Falcon defeated Lindqvist at No. 5, 6-0, 6-4.
Rios took down Sanchez in a quick 6-4, 6-2 match at No. 4 to clinch the match, while Wilkins beat Evans at No. 1, 6-2, 6-2.
At No. 2, Yurtkuran outlasted Audrey Coventry, before Whitehead lost in three sets to Paulson at No. 3, 1-6, 6-1, 6-2.
The Spartans return to action Wednesday, April 10 when they travel to Greenville, N.C. to play East Carolina at 2 p.m.
UNCG Women vs Wofford Women
Apr 07, 2013 at Spartanburg, S.C.
(Reeves Tennis Center)
UNCG Women 6, Wofford Women 1
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Sarah Evans (WOFW) 6-2, 6-2
2. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Audrey Coventry (WOFW) 6-4, 6-1
3. Julia Paulson (WOFW) def. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Mareli Sanchez (WOFW) 6-4, 6-2
5. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) def. Othilia Lindqvist (WOFW) 6-0, 6-4
6. Kayla Gammie (UNCG) def. Lucy Schermerhorn (WOFW) 6-4, 6-2
1. Niltooli Wilkins/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Sarah Evans/Othilia Lindqvist (WOFW) 8-1
2. Annette Rios/Kayla Gammie (UNCG) def. Julia Paulson/Lucy Schermerhorn (WOFW) 8-7 (9-7)
3. Stephanie Falcon/Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Guinn Garcia/Mareli Sanchez (WOFW) 8-6
UNCG Women 12-6, 8-2 SoCon
Wofford Women 5-14, 1-7 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,5,4,1,2,3)
- UNCG -