Women's Tennis Ends Season with Victory over ECU, 5-2
GREENVILLE, N.C.– The UNCG women's tennis team concluded its regular season with a 5-2 victory over East Carolina Wednesday, April 10 in Greenville, N.C.
"Great finish to the regular season," said head coach Jeff Trivette. "We were not at full strength, but everybody stepped up and played some of the best tennis of the spring."
The Blue and Gold dominated in doubles when they won three out of three matches to win the point.
In singles play, Wilkins won in two sets against Wanko, 7-5, 6-1, while Whitehead beat Tanik easily, 6-3, 6-2.
Rios fought in three sets but fell 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 to Zhang.
Falcon brought home a 6-4, 6-4 victory, while Gammie dropped a tough three-set match to LaDuca, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3.
Freshman Soumeya Anane outlasted Richmond in three sets, 6-4, 3-6, 1-0.
The Spartans finished out their regular season with a 13-6 overall record and an 8-2 record in SoCon competition. UNCG will return to action at the SoCon Tournament Thursday, April 18 in Elon, N.C.
UNC Greensboro 5, East Carolina 2
Apr 10, 2013 at Greenville, N.C.
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Neena Wanko (ECU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Melis Tanik (ECU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Yilian Zhang (ECU) def. Annette Rios (UNCG) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0
4. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) def. Danielle Terpko (ECU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Nicole LaDuca (ECU) def. Kayla Gammie (UNCG) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Soumeya Anane (UNCG) def. Abby Richmond (ECU) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0
1. Alex Whitehead/Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Neena Wanko/Nicole LaDuca (ECU) 8-5
2. Kayla Gammie/Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Yilian Zhang/Melis Tanik (ECU) 8-3
3. Soumeya Anane/Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) def. Danielle Terpko/Abby Richmond (ECU) 8-2
UNC Greensboro 13-6
East Carolina 12-10
- UNCG -