No. 74 UNCG back in action at UNCW on Friday
No. 74 UNCG (15-4) at UNCW (13-6), April 13, 2:30 p.m., Wilmington, N.C.
- Fresh off clinching at least a share of the Southern Conference regular-season title, UNCG's 74th-ranked women's tennis team will step out of league play for its final nonconference bout of the season, at UNCW on Friday.
- The Spartans jumped into the Campbell/ITA Women's Team Rankings on Tuesday. UNCG's ranking is its first since a two-week stay at No. 70 in March 2011.
- UNCG beat Elon 5-2 Tuesday day to improve to 15-4 overall and 9-0 in the SoCon, assuring itself of no worse than a share of the regular-season SoCon championship. UNCG can clinch its first-ever outright SoCon title with a win at Western Carolina on Sunday. The Spartans' win over Elon also clinched the top seed in the upcoming SoCon tournament.
- The Spartans have won 10 straight matches, with nine of those coming in league play. In the win over the Phoenix on Tuesday, UNCG nabbed the doubles point for the 17th straight match, getting wins from Devon Sutherland and Alex Whitehead at No. 2 and Kayla Gammie and Annette Rios at No. 3. In singles play, UNCG got wins from Whitehead, Rios, Sutherland and Niltooli Wilkins, with Rios clinching the match at No. 4.
- Wilkins paces UNCG with a 27-6 singles record and is 17-1 in dual play, all at No. 1. She has won 17 straight since opening the dual campaign with a 7-5, 7-5 loss to No. 44 Zoe De Bruycker of North Carolina on Jan. 18. With 27 wins to her credit and at least three matches left on UNCG's schedule, Wilkins has a chance to surpass the school record of 29 set by Alejandra Guerra in 2009.
- Stephanie Falcon, a freshman, is second on the squad with a 24-8 record (13-6 dual), while Rios is 17-12 overall and 13-6 in duals and Sutherland is 14-9 overall and 7-3 in dual play. Alex Whitehead is 15-13 overall (10-7 dual), while Lucy Dougherty is 12-14 overall (8-7 dual) to give the Spartans six players in double digits in singles wins.
- In doubles play, Wilkins and Dougherty, who have been ranked as high as 40th nationally this season, are 21-10 with a 12-5 dual mark. Whitehead and Sutherland are 12-2 together (11-2 at No. 2) and Gammie and Rios are 17-3 with a 15-1 dual mark, mostly at No. 3, and have won 13 straight.
- UNCG finished 8-1 at home this year with a 5-0 mark at the UNCG Tennis Courts and a 3-1 mark at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center. The Spartans are 7-3 outside of Greensboro and 7-2 in true road matches.
- UNCW is 13-6 on the season and has spent time in the rankings, as well. The Seahawks have had two stints in the poll for a total of four weeks this season, topping out at No. 63 in the Feb. 28 edition.
- Friday's match will be UNCW's regular-season and home finale. Seahawk seniors Casey Dashiell and Christina Lee will be playing the last home match of their careers.
- UNCG will be the sixth ranked opponent UNCW has faced this season and the second straight. UNCW has faced No. 14 Clemson, No. 25 VCU, No. 37 South Florida, No. 38 Georgia State and No. 46 Kansas State. The win over Georgia State on Feb. 25 accounted for UNCW's highest-ever ranked opponent beaten. The Seahawks dropped their other matches to ranked opponents.
- The Seahawks fell 4-2 at No. 37 South Florida last Friday as their seven-match winning streak came to an end. Alyssa Ritchie picked up a win for UNCW at No. 4 singles and Dashiell won at No. 6. The teams did not play doubles.
- Angie Sekely leads UNCW with a 15-5 singles mark, including a 10-2 record at No. 3. Ritchie is second at 14-3 and is 8-0 at No. 4. Lee is 12-7 with an 8-6 mark at No. 1, while Kelly Cameron is 11-7 between Nos. 3-5. Christina Riley gives the Seahawks five players with double-digit wins, as she's 10-3 overall and 7-0 at No. 6.
- Lee and Ritchie are 11-4 together as a doubles duo, with a 5-1 mark at No. 1 and a 6-3 record at No. 2. Olga Blank and Sekely are 5-0 together with a 4-0 mark at No. 2. Cameron and Miller Hales are 4-0 together, all at No. 3.
- The Seahawks have taken several Colonial Athletic Association honors this season. On April 3, Blank and Sekely were named the league's Doubles Team of the Week. Sekely and Cameron earned the same honor on March 13. Blank was the CAA Player of the Week on March 27, while Lee took the distinction on Feb. 28.
- UNCG -