UNCW snaps No. 74 UNCG's 10-match winning streak, 4-3
WILMINGTON, N.C. – No. 74 UNCG saw its 10-match winning streak come to an end with a 4-3 loss at UNCW at the UNCW Tennis Complex on Friday.
The Seahawks (14-6), who have been ranked as high as No. 63 this season, clinched the match in a third-set tiebreaker at No. 3 singles to pull out the dramatic win. Dilara Yurtkuran turned in impressive rally to give UNCG a chance at the victory, overcoming a 6-1 loss in the first set to take a 7-5 win in the second. UNCW's Angie Sekely was not to be denied, however, as she claimed the tiebreaker 10-8 for the 7-6 win in the third set.
The match started out well for the Spartans (15-5), who won the doubles point for the 18th straight match. Devon Sutherland and Alex Whitehead topped Sekely and Olga Blank at No. 2, 8-4, but the Seahawks (14-6) countered with a win at No. 3, as Miller Hales and Kelly Cameron topped Kayla Gammie and Annette Rios, 8-4. The loss snapped the Spartan duo's 13-match winning streak.
UNCG clinched the point at No. 1, where Yurtkuran and Niltooli Wilkins, playing together for the first time ever, pulled out a 9-7 win over Christina Lee and Alyssa Ritchie.
The Seahawks rallied in singles play. Blank got things going with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Whitehead at No. 2, and Ritchie put UNCW ahead with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Rios at No. 4.
Wilkins pulled UNCG even with her 6-2, 6-3 win over Lee at the top of the lineup, picking up her 18th straight win to move to 28-6 on the season. She needs just one more win the match the school record set by Alejandra Guerra in 2009.
Sutherland put the Spartans back on top with a win at No. 6, cruising past Casey Dashiell, 6-0, 6-4, but UNCW's Christina Riley tied the match at No. 5, downing freshman Stephanie Falcon 6-2, 6-3 as Falcon lost consecutive matches for the just the second time this season.
Friday's loss was the first for the Spartans in more than a month. UNCG's previous loss was a 4-3 setback at Charleston Southern on March 10.
UNCG closes out the regular season with its final Southern Conference contest Sunday at Western Carolina. The Spartans, who are 9-0 in league play and are assured of at least a share of the SoCon regular-season title, can clinch their first-ever outright title with a win. The match is set for 1 p.m. in Cullowhee, N.C.
UNCW 4, #74 UNCG 3
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Christina Lee (UNCW) 6-2, 6-3
2. Olga Blank (UNCW) def. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) 6-1, 6-1
3. Angie Sekely (UNCW) def. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) 6-1, 5-7, 7-6 (10-8)
4. Alyssa Ritchie (UNCW) def. Annette Rios (UNCG) 6-4, 6-1
5. Christina Riley (UNCW) def. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) 6-2, 6-3
6. Devon Sutherland (UNCG) def. Casey Dashiell (UNCW) 6-0, 6-4
1. Niltooli Wilkins/Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Christina Lee/Alyssa Ritchie (UNCW) 9-7
2. Devon Sutherland/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Olga Blank/Angie Sekely (UNCW) 8-4
3. Miller Hales/Kelly Cameron (UNCW) def. Annette Rios/Kayla Gammie (UNCG) 8-4
UNCG 15-5; National ranking #74
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,4,1,6,5,3)
- UNCG -