Men's Tennis Falls to College of Charleston, 5-2
CHARLESTON, S.C. – The UNCG men's tennis team fell in a tough 5-2 decision to College of Charleston Friday, April 12 at Patriots Point in Charleston, S.C.
The Spartans started strong when they won two out of three doubles matches to earn the doubles point.
Freshman Daniel Mack (Lakeland, Fla./Lakeland) and junior Ahmet Sarioglu (Ankara, Turkey/METU Development Foundation) teamed up against Sebastian Lopez and Crescente Lesser to win 8-4 at the No. 2 spot.
In singles play, Mack fell at No. 5 to Lewis, 7-6 (7-3), 6-0, before sophomore Cameron Smith (Jamestown, N.C. / Ragsdale) lost 6-1, 6-3 to Faiman at No. 6 singles.
Phillips picked up the first singles win for the Blue and Gold at No. 4 when he took down Ghriskey, 6-3, 6-4, while Dougherty fell short at No. 2 against Lopez, 7-5, 6-4.
At No. 3, Murray lost in a tough three-set match, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 against Lesser, before Sarioglu fought in a close three sets against Allanic at No. 1, but lost 7-6 (7-2), 3-6, 6-3.
UNCG holds a 14-3 overall record and are 7-3 in the SoCon. The Spartans will conclude their regular season when they travel to Charlotte, N.C. Monday, April 15 to face Charlotte at 3:30 p.m.
UNCG vs College of Charleston
Apr 12, 2013 at CofC Tennis Center at Patriots Point
College of Charleston 5, UNCG 2
1. Brice Allanic (COFC) def. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 7-6 (7-2), 3-6, 6-3
2. Sebastian Lopez (COFC) def. James Dougherty (UNCG) 7-5, 6-4
3. Crescente Lesser (COFC) def. Gaston Murray (UNCG) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
4. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Charlie Ghriskey (COFC) 6-3, 6-4
5. Zack Lewis (COFC) def. Daniel Mack (UNCG) 7-6 (7-3), 6-0
6. Alon Faiman (COFC) def. Cameron Smith (UNCG) 6-1, 6-3
1. James Dougherty/Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Brice Allanic/Charlie Ghriskey (COFC) 8-3
2. Ahmet Sarioglu/Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Sebastian Lopez/Crescente Lesser (COFC) 8-4
3. Alon Faiman/Zack Lewis (COFC) def. William Albright/Jimmy Roueche (UNCG) 8-6
College of Charleston 12-8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,6,4,2,3,1)
- UNCG -