Men's Tennis Falls in SoCon Tournament Against Chattanooga
ELON, N.C. – The UNCG men's tennis team fell in a 4-3 decision to Chattanooga in the SoCon Tournament Friday, April 19.
Junior Ahmet Sarioglu (Ankara, Turkey/METU Development Foundation) dropped a tough two sets at No. 1 against Roberto Viera, 6-0, 6-1.
Sophomore Randy Phillips (Snellville, Ga. / Brookwood) picked up a 7-5, 6-4 victory against Chris Smith at No. 4 singles, before freshman James Dougherty (Melbourne, Australia) won in a close three-set match at No. 2 against 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (8-6).
Freshman Daniel Mack (Lakeland, Fla./Lakeland) fought in three sets to take down Pavels Grigorjevs, 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 at No. 5, while classmate Gaston Murray (Lake Worth, Fla. / Park Vista) fell at No. 3 6-4, 3-6, 4-6 to Ankit Chopra.
At No. 6, sophomore Cameron Smith (Jamestown, N.C. / Ragsdale) dropped a 7-6, 7-6 match against Jackson Tresnan to tie up the match 3-3.
The deciding point came down to doubles where freshman William Albright (Greensboro, N.C. / Grimsley) and junior Jimmy Roueche (Greensboro, N.C. / Grimsley ) fell to Manuel Barroetavena and Tresnan at No. 3, 8-1.
Dougherty and Phillips teamed up against Viera and Chopra at No. 1 but lost 8-3.
Apr 19, 2013 at Burlington, N.C.(Burlington Tennis Center)
Chattanooga 4, UNCG 3
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 6-0, 6-1
2. James Dougherty (UNCG) def. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Gaston Murray (UNCG) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Chris Smith (UTC) 7-5, 6-45. Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 7-5, 4-6, 6-26. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Cameron Smith (UNCG) 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (7-4)
1. Roberto Vieira/Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. James Dougherty/Randy Phillips (UNCG) 8-3
2. Daniel Mack/Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) vs. Chris Smith/John Peacey (UTC) 5-2, unfinished
3. Manuel Barroetavena/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. William Albright/Jimmy Roueche (UNCG) 8-1
Chattanooga 12-8, UNCG 14-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,4,2,5,3,6)
- UNCG -