Men's Tennis Win 5-2 to Davidson
DAVIDSON, N.C. – The UNCG men's tennis team brings home another victory after winning its match against Davidson Sunday, 5-2.
"Hard fought doubles point," said head coach Thomas Mozur. "We came up big when it counted. Heading into singles we knew it would be a challenge and the guys stepped up and handled a tough Davidson team well."
The Spartans won two out of three doubles matches to win the doubles point.
In singles play, Sarioglu dropped his match to Joe Schafer, 7-5, 6-2.
Dougherty picked up an easy 6-1, 6-1 win against Kunz, while Murray came up short in his match against 6-4, 6-1 to Mark.
Phillips fought to win his first set before taking the second match easily when he beat Lightbourn, 7-6, 6-0.
Mack won in a quick 6-1, 6-1 match against Connor Evins, while Smith defeated Alex Howard, 6-4, 6-2.
The Blue and Gold (13-2, 6-2 SoCon) return to action Tuesday, April 9 to host Elon at the UNCG tennis courts at 2 p.m.
UNCG 5, Davidson 2
April 7, 2013
1. Joe Schafer (DAV) def. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 7-5, 6-2
2. James Dougherty (UNCG) def. Nicky Kunz (DAV) 6-1, 6-1
3. Chris Mark (DAV) def. Gaston Murray (UNCG) 6-4, 6-1
4. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Robert Lightbourn (DAV) 7-6, 6-0
5. Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Connor Evins (DAV) 6-1, 6-1
6. Cameron Smith (UNCG) def. Alex Howard (DAV) 6-4, 6-2
1. Randy Phillips/James Dougherty (UNCG) def. Kevin Moore/Chris Mark (DAV) 8-3
2. Ahmet Sarioglu/Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Ethan Kallick/Joe Schafer (DAV) 9-8
3. Robert Lightbourn/Nicky Kunz (DAV) def. Cameron Smith/Gaston Murray (UNCG) 8-4
UNCG 13-2, 6-2 SoCon
Davidson 10-8, 4-5 SoCon
- UNCG -