Men's Tennis Defeats Appalachian State, 5-2
BOONE, N.C. – The UNCG men's tennis team advanced its record to 10-2 and 4-2 in the SoCon after beating conference foe Appalachian State, 5-2 Friday, March 29 at the Grandfather Mountain Country Club.
"It was a though match today," said head coach Thomas Mozur. "We pulled out the doubles point which helped with the momentum going into singles play. Appalachian State is a difficult place to play. I'm proud of my team for adapting to the environment."
The Blue and Gold started off strong winning two out of three doubles matches to win the doubles point.
In singles play, Sarioglu won in a close 7-5, 7-5 match at No. 1 against King, while Dougherty dropped a close second-set tiebreaker at No. 2 to Karendal, 6-4, 7-6 (4-0).
Murray beat Zach Bost at No. 3, 6-4, 6-3. Phillips won an easy 6-2, 6-1 match against McKinnon at No. 4.
Mack defeated Matt Saltsgaver at No. 5, 7-5, 6-2, while Smith dropped his match at No. 6 against Kleynhans, 7-5, 6-1.
The Spartans will return to action Saturday, March 30 when they host Binghamton at the UNCG tennis courts at 12 p.m.
UNCG vs Appalachian State
Mar 29, 2013 at Boone, N.C.
(Grandfather Mountain Country Club)
UNCG 5, Appalachian State 2
1. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Sebastien King (APP) 7-5, 7-5
2. Steve Karendal (APP) def. James Dougherty (UNCG) 6-4, 7-6 (4-0)
3. Gaston Murray (UNCG) def. Zach Bost (APP) 6-4, 6-3
4. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Andrew McKinnon (APP) 6-2, 6-1
5. Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) 7-5, 6-2
6. Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Cameron Smith (UNCG) 7-5, 6-1
1. James Dougherty/Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (APP) 8-6
2. Ahmet Sarioglu/Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Andrew McKinnon/Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 8-6
3. Steve Lake/Steve Karendal (APP) def. Cameron Smith/Gaston Murray (UNCG) 8-5
UNCG 10-2 (4-2 SoCon) Appalachian State 4-10 (2-3 SoCon)
- UNCG -