UNCG hosts Davidson on Saturday; start time moved to 10:30 a.m.
UNCG (5-7, 2-1 SoCon) vs. Davidson (4-7, 1-1 SoCon), March 17, 10:30 a.m., UNCG Tennis Courts
- UNCG will try to bounce back from its first Southern Conference loss of the season when it hosts Davidson at the UNCG Tennis Courts on Saturday. The match has been moved up to a 10:30 a.m. start due to the threat of inclement weather later in the day.
- The Spartans, who have alternated wins and losses over their last seven matches, opened league play 2-0 with road wins over Georgia Southern and The Citadel before falling at home to Chattanooga on Sunday.
- In the 4-3 loss to the Mocs, UNCG swept through doubles play and got wins from Orcun Seyrek at No. 1 singles and Ahmet Sarioglu at No. 2 but saw Chattanooga rally from the 3-0 deficit with four straight wins. Chris Smith clinched the match for the Mocs at No. 3, rallying from a first-set loss to take a 4-6, 7-6 (7-1), 7-5 win over Chanon Varapongsittikul. Smith trailed 5-4 in the last set before running off three straight games to give UTC its first victory over the Spartans since 2007.
- UNCG has been dominant at home over the last several seasons. Including matches at Starmount Forest Country Club and Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center, as well as outdoor matches at the UNCG Tennis Courts, UNCG is 26-3 in its last 29 home matches, dating back to the 2009 season. UNCG is 8-0 in indoor home matches in that span and 18-3 at the UNCG Tennis Courts.
- Seyrek is ranked 11th in singles in the Carolinas Region by the ITA. A three-time All-Southern Conference selection, Seyrek was 20-11 in singles last year, marking his third straight season with 20+ singles wins.
- Sarioglu, a sophomore, leads the team in singles wins with a 14-7 mark on the season and is 8-4 in dual play, all at No. 2. Seyrek is second on the squad in wins at 11-8 with an 8-4 dual mark of his own, all at No. 1. Freshman Randy Phillips is on the cusp of double digits with a 9-12 record, including a 5-7 record at No. 4.
- In doubles play, Sarioglu and Seyrek are a team-best 10-6 with an 8-4 mark at No. 1. Varapongsittikul and Phillips are 10-7 with a 6-6 mark at No. 2. Cameron Smith and Jimmy Roueche are 3-9 at No. 3.
- Davidson has lost four of its last five, dropping contests at Charlotte and UCF before picking up its first SoCon win at Georgia Southern on March 7. Since then, the Wildcats have fallen at South Carolina State and Elon, also on the road. Saturday's match at UNCG wraps up a six-match road swing for Davidson.
- Davidson captured three singles wins in Sunday's 4-3 loss at Elon, but the Phoenix got wins at Nos. 1 and 2 doubles for the difference in the match. Davidson's Conner Evins and Chris Mark won at No. 3 doubles, while Evins (No. 6), Nicky Kunz (No. 3) and Calum Gee (No. 4) won in singles play.
- Kunz leads Davidson with a 7-4 dual mark spread across Nos. 2-4. Joe Schafer is 6-5 between Nos. 1-3 and Evins is 4-2 with a 4-1 mark at No. 6.
- In doubles play, Gee and Schafer are 6-4 at No. 1, while Evins and Mark are 8-1, including a 7-0 mark at No. 3.
- UNCG and Davidson both competed in the USTA/ITA Regional Championships in Chapel Hill, N.C., from Oct. 13-16, but no one from either team faced each other.
- The Spartans took a 5-2 road win over the Wildcats on March 19 of last season, dropping the doubles point but getting singles wins at Nos. 1-5.
- Looking ahead, UNCG starts a three-match road swing at East Carolina on Wednesday at 2:30 p.m.
- UNCG -