Chattanooga rallies past UNCG for 4-3 SoCon win
For video of UNCG coach Thomas Mozur's postmatch comments, click here.
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG swept through doubles play and won the first two singles matches, but Chattanooga rallied for four straight singles victories to steal the road win in Southern Conference men's tennis action Sunday at the UNCG Tennis Courts, 4-3.
After the Spartans (5-7, 2-1 SoCon) jumped out to a 3-0 lead, the Mocs (9-3, 1-1 SoCon) came storming back to tie the match at 3, leaving the match in the hands of UNCG's Chanon Varpongsittikul and Chattanooga's Chris Smith at No. 3 singles.
Varpongsittikul won the opening set 6-4, but Smith came back to win the second, 7-6 (7-1). Varapongsittikul held a 5-4 lead in the third set but Smith again had an answer, winning the final three games and closing with an ace for the 7-5, match-clinching win.
UNCG won a trio of close matches to clinch the doubles point. Varapongsittikul and Randy Phillips got things going with an 8-6 win over Smith and Manuel Barroetavena at No. 2 and Ahmet Sarioglu and Orcun Seyrek clinched the point with a 9-7 win over Ankit Chopra and Sam Parfitt at No. 1. Jimmy Roueche and Cameron Smith completed the sweep at No. 3, downing Pavels Grigorjevs and Jackson Tresnan, 8-7 (7-4).
Seyrek gave UNCG a 2-0 advantage with a win over Roberto Vieira at No. 1 singles. After Seyrek won the opening set 6-3, Vieira retired with injury. Sarioglu put the Spartans up 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Chopra at No. 2, but the tide was about to turn.
Barroetavena got Chattanooga on the board with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Phillips at No. 4, and Tresnan pulled the Mocs within a point with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Cameron Smith at No. 5. Grigorjevs tied the match at No. 6, overcoming a first-set loss to take a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 win over Roueche.
Chris Smith followed with his dramatic win at No. 3 as the Mocs overcame first-set losses in each of their final two singles matches to clinch their first league win of the season and first win over UNCG since 2007.
UNCG returns to action Saturday when it hosts Davidson at the UNCG Tennis Courts at 2 p.m.
Chattanooga 4, UNCG 3
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) 6-3, retired
2. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Ankit Chopra (UTC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Chris Smith (UTC) def. C. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) 4-6, 7-6 (7-1), 7-5
4. M. Barroetavena (UTC) def. Randy Phillips (UNCG) 6-3, 6-1
5. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Cameron Smith (UNCG) 6-3, 6-2
6. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Jimmy Roueche (UNCG) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
1. Ahmet Sarioglu/Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Ankit Chopra/Sam Parfitt (UTC) 9-7
2. Randy Phillips/C. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) def. M. Barroetavena/Chris Smith (UTC) 8-6
3. Jimmy Roueche/Cameron Smith (UNCG) def. Pavels Grigorjevs/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) 8-7 (7-4)
Chattanooga 9-3, 1-1 SoCon
UNCG 5-7, 2-1 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,4,5,6,3)
- UNCG -