UNCG returns home to host Chattanooga on Sunday
UNCG (5-6, 2-0 SoCon) vs. Chattanooga (8-2, 0-0 SoCon), March 11, 12 p.m., UNCG Tennis Courts
- UNCG's men's tennis team will host its first Southern Conference match this season when Chattanooga visits the UNCG Tennis Courts on Sunday at noon.
- Fans are reminded to set their clocks forward an hour for daylight saving time, which goes into effect at 2 a.m. Sunday.
- The Spartans are 2-0 in league play after Thursday's 7-0 win at The Citadel. UNCG swept all three doubles matches and won each singles match in straight sets, highlighted by Cameron Smith's 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 5.
- UNCG has been dominant at home over the last several seasons. Including matches at Starmount Forest Country Club and Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center, as well as outdoor matches at the UNCG Tennis Courts, UNCG is 26-2 in its last 28 home matches, dating back to the 2009 season. UNCG is 8-0 in indoor home matches in that span and 18-2 at the UNCG Tennis Courts.
- Senior Orcun Seyrek is ranked 11th in singles in the Carolinas Region by the ITA. A three-time All-Southern Conference selection, Seyrek was 20-11 in singles last year, marking his third straight season with 20+ singles wins.
- Ahmet Sarioglu, a sophomore, leads the team in singles wins with a 13-7 mark on the season and is 7-4 in dual play. Seyrek is second on the squad in at 10-8 with a 7-4 dual mark. In doubles play, Sarioglu and Seyrek are a team-best 9-6 with a 7-4 mark at No. 1. Randy Phillips and Chanon Varapongsittikul are 9-7 with a 5-6 mark at No. 2.
- UNCG has alternated wins and losses over its last six matches.
- Chattanooga has opened its season 8-2 and opens SoCon play at Elon on Saturday. The eight wins have tied UTC's win total from all of last year. The Mocs have won six straight since a 6-1 loss to Middle Tennessee on Jan, 29. All six wins in the streak were in Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Jackson Tresnan is 9-1 on the season, all in dual play. He is 7-0 at No. 5. Robert Vieira leads the team in wins with an 11-7 mark and is 7-3 in dual action, all at No. 1. Tresnan and Pavels Grigorjevs lead the team with a 5-3 mark in doubles.
- UNCG has won four straight over the Mocs. In last season's 6-1 UNCG win in Chattanooga on March 12, Chattanooga took the doubles point but saw the Spartans sweep through singles play.
- Looking ahead, UNCG will host Davidson at the UNCG Tennis Courts on Saturday, March 17, at 2 p.m.
- UNCG -