Spartans down Furman 5-2 on Friday
GREENVILLE, S.C. – UNCG's men's tennis team picked up a 5-2 win over Furman on Friday at the Mickel Tennis Center, with senior Orcun Seyrek clinching the match with a win over 110th-ranked Andrew Mellow.
The Spartans improved to 7-8 overall and 4-1 in Southern Conference play. Furman fell to 4-12 overall and 1-2 in the league.
UNCG got off to a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. Cameron Smith and Jimmy Roueche rolled to an easy 8-1 win over Nate Collins and Watson George at No. 3, and Seyrek and Ahmet Sarioglu clinched the point with an 8-4 win over Alex Christ and Joel Cook at No. 1.
At No. 2, Furman's Mellow and Tyler Droll edged Randy Phillips and Chanon Varapongsittikul 9-7 to snap the Spartan duo's five-match winning streak.
In singles play, Sarioglu made it a 2-0 match with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Christ at No. 2. Cook pulled the Paladins back within a point with a 7-6 (11-9), 6-3 win over Phillips, who was making his first career appearance at No. 3.
Varapongsittikul, who swapped positions with Phillips, won his first match of the season at No. 4, downing Jacob Behal by a 6-4, 6-2 count.
Seyrek then clinched it with the win over Mellow at No. 1, overcoming a first-set loss for the 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-1 victory.
Furman's Droll dropped Roueche at No. 6, 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8), and UNCG's Smith handed Robbie Aru a 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7) loss at No. 5 to close things out.
UNCG takes on Wofford on Saturday in Spartanburg, S.C., at 1 p.m.
UNCG 5, Furman 2
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. #110 Andrew Mellow (FUR) 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
2. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Alex Christ (FUR) 6-4, 6-3
3. Joel Cook (FUR) def. Randy Phillips (UNCG) 7-6 (11-9), 6-4
4. C. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) def. Jacob Behal (FUR) 6-4, 6-2
5. Cameron Smith (UNCG) def. Robbie Aru (FUR) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Tyler Droll (FUR) def. Jimmy Roueche (UNCG) 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Orcun Seyrek/Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Alex Christ/Joel Cook (FUR) 8-4
2. Andrew Mellow/Tyler Droll (FUR) def. Randy Phillips/C. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) 9-7
3. Cameron Smith/Jimmy Roueche (UNCG) def. Nate Collins/Watson George (FUR) 8-1
UNCG 7-8, 4-1 SoCon
Furman 4-12, 1-2 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,3,4,1,6,5)
- UNCG -