UNCG heads to rival Elon on Wednesday; match moved to 2:30 p.m.
UNCG (8-10, 5-3 SoCon) at Elon (8-11, 5-3 SoCon), April 4, 2:30 p.m., Elon, N.C.
Live stats: UNCGSpartans.com (via ElonPhoenix.com)
- UNCG's men's tennis team will make the short trip up Interstate 40 for a Southern Conference match at rival Elon at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center on Wednesday. The match has been moved to a 2:30 p.m. start due to the threat of inclement weather.
- Elon and the Spartans enter the match with nearly identical records on the year. Elon is 8-11 overall, while UNCG is 8-10. Both squads are 5-3 in league play, tied for fifth in the SoCon standings.
- The Spartans, who have alternated wins and losses over their last 13 matches, dropped a tough one to SoCon leader College of Charleston at the UNCG Tennis Courts on Sunday, 4-3. UNCG trailed 2-0 after dropping the doubles point and the first singles result but rallied to tie the match at 3 with wins at Nos. 1 (Orcun Seyrek), 2 (Ahmet Sarioglu) and 5 (Cameron Smith) singles. The match was decided at No. 3, where Chanon Varapongsittikul fell in three sets.
- Sarioglu is the Spartans' hottest singles player right now with 10 straight wins and leads the team with a 20-7 mark on the season. Sarioglu is 14-4 in dual play, all at No. 2. Seyrek is second on the squad in wins at 16-9 with a 13-5 dual mark, all at No. 1. Freshman Randy Phillips is also in double digits with a 12-15 record, including an 8-9 record at No. 4.
- In doubles play, Varapongsittikul and Phillips are a team-best 15-8 with an 11-7 mark at No. 2. Sarioglu and Seyrek are 13-9 with an 11-7 mark at No. 1. Smith and Jimmy Roueche are 4-14 at No. 3.
- UNCG has won the doubles point just eight times in 18 tries this season.
- Elon topped Wofford on Sunday, 6-1, to snap a three-match losing streak. The Phoenix grabbed wins at Nos. 1 and 3 doubles to secure the early point then won everywhere but No. 5 in singles play.
- Wednesday's match will feature of matchup of the top two singles players in the conference at No. 1. Elon's Cameron Silverman is 14-5 overall, slightly ahead of Seyrek's 13-5 mark, and is one of just four league players undefeated in singles play at 8-0. Seyrek and Sarioglu are also 8-0 at their respective flights.
- Silverman was named the SoCon Player of the Week on Tuesday for the second time this season. He was 6-0 last week, going 3-0 in singles and doubles. Silverman was also the league's player of the week on March 13.
- Stefan Fortmann joins Silverman in double figures with a 13-7 singles mark, including a 12-6 dual record, all at No. 2. Jordan Kaufman is 10-10 overall and 9-9 in dual play.
- In doubles play, Silverman and Eric Turner are 8-6 together with a 7-4 mark at No. 1. The Phoenix has used 15 different doubles combinations this season.
- UNCG has won three straight against the Phoenix, all by 4-3 scores. The Spartans won in the regular season in 2010, followed by a win in the SoCon Championship final to clinch their first-ever NCAA appearance. On April 6 of last season, in a battle of the top two teams in the league standings, UNCG's Yaroslav Litus won in a second-set tiebreaker at No. 3 singles to clinch the win. The Spartans won four singles bouts after dropping the doubles point.
- UNCG -