UNCG hosts Samford for Senior Day contest
UNCG (9-10, 6-3 SoCon) vs. Samford (13-3, 7-1 SoCon), April 7, 12 p.m., UNCG Tennis Courts
- UNCG's men's tennis team returns home Saturday to host Samford in a critical Southern Conference match at the UNCG Tennis Courts in senior Orcun Seyrek's final home contest.
- The Spartans and Bulldogs are both coming into Saturday's match fresh off thrilling 4-3 wins at Elon that were clinched at No. 5 singles. UNCG did so on Thursday in the continuation of a match that was suspended Wednesday after the doubles point when heavy rains swept through the area. Freshman Cameron Smith won in three sets for UNCG at No. 5 to lead the Spartans past their rivals. Samford pulled out a similar result Friday, winning at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles, like UNCG, and then getting three singles wins to take the road victory. Alexander Sajonz had the honors for the Bulldogs at No. 5, picking up a 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (8-6) win to clinch the match.
- The Spartans have alternated wins and losses over their last 14 matches. They enter play Saturday looking for their first back-to-back wins since Feb. 4-5.
- A three-time All-SoCon selection in singles and a two-time pick in doubles, Seyrek will leave UNCG as one of its most accomplished players in program history. The Istanbul, Turkey, native was the SoCon Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year in 2009, and has won 20-plus singles matches in each of the three previous seasons. He needs just three more wins to reach that mark for the fourth straight year. At 17-9 overall with a 14-5 dual mark, Seyrek is a SoCon-best 9-0 in league play at No. 1.
- Sophomore Ahmet Sarioglu saw his 10-match winning streak come to an end Thursday at Elon but still leads UNCG with a 20-8 mark on the season. Sarioglu is 14-5 in dual play, all at No. 2. Freshman Randy Phillips is also in double digits with a 13-15 record, including a 9-9 record at No. 4.
- In doubles play, Phillips and Chanon Varapongsittikul are a team-best 16-8 with a 12-7 mark at No. 2. Sarioglu and Seyrek are 13-10 with an 11-8 mark at No. 1. Smith and Jimmy Roueche are 5-14 at No. 3 and picked up a crucial win at Elon on Wednesday to help the Spartans take the point.
- UNCG has won the doubles point just nine times in 19 tries this season.
- Samford enters play Saturday in second place in the league standings behind only College of Charleston, which escaped Greensboro with a 4-3 win last weekend.
- Elliot Barnwell leads the Bulldogs with a SoCon-best 14-2 dual mark at No. 3. Fernando Costa is 12-4 at No. 4 and Sajonz is 11-4 at No. 5. Zac Dunkle is 10-6 with a 6-5 record at No. 1 and a 4-1 mark at No. 2.
- Costa and Carson Kadi are a league-best 13-2 at No. 3 doubles. Dunkle and Sajonz are 10-6 at No. 1 and Barnwell and Ryan Shidler are 8-7 at No. 2.
- UNCG took a 5-2 win over Samford on March 10, 2011, in Birmingham, Ala. The Spartans took the doubles point then got wins at Nos. 2-5 in singles. UNCG has taken three straight 5-2 wins over the Bulldogs.
- UNCG -