UNCG to close regular season at Campbell on Saturday
UNCG (9-11) at Campbell (9-10), April 14, 1 p.m., Buies Creek, N.C.
- UNCG's men's tennis team will wrap up the regular season with a nonconference tilt at Campbell on Saturday in Buies Creek, N.C.
- The Spartans closed out Southern Conference play with a 4-3 loss to Samford last Saturday at the UNCG Tennis Courts. The Bulldogs pulled out the close match in a tiebreaker in the third set at No. 3 singles, staving off a match point. Orcun Seyrek, Ahmet Sarioglu and Randy Phillips picked up wins for UNCG on the day, with Seyrek, a senior, putting the finishing touches on a perfect 10-0 SoCon slate at No. 1 in his final home match.
- The Spartans have alternated wins and losses over their last 15 matches, with each of the last five decided by 4-3 scores.
- UNCG has locked up either the fourth or fifth seed and a first-round bye in the Southern Conference Championship, which will be held in Charleston, S.C., April 19-22.
- A three-time All-SoCon selection in singles and a two-time pick in doubles, Seyrek will leave UNCG as one of its most accomplished players in program history. The Istanbul, Turkey, native was the SoCon Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year in 2009, and has won 20-plus singles matches in each of the three previous seasons. He needs just two more wins to reach that mark for the fourth straight year, as he is 18-9 overall with a 15-5 dual mark.
- Sarioglu leads UNCG with a 21-8 mark on the season and is 15-5 in dual play, all at No. 2. Phillips, a freshman, is also in double digits with a 14-15 record, including a 10-9 record at No. 4.
- In doubles play, Phillips and Chanon Varapongsittikul are a team-best 16-9 with a 12-8 mark at No. 2. Sarioglu and Seyrek are 14-10 with a 12-8 mark at No. 1 and Cameron Smith and Jimmy Roueche are 5-15 at No. 3.
- UNCG has won the doubles point just nine times in 20 tries this season. Perhaps not coincidentally, the Spartans have won their last four matches when they've won the doubles point and lost the last four in which they dropped the doubles point.
- Campbell will be closing out a four-match homestand and wrapping up its regular season Saturday, as well. The Camels have won their last two contests to move within a match of .500 on the season at 9-10 overall. Campbell finished 4-3 in Big South Conference play.
- The Camels have won their last two matches, both by 5-2 scores, over Presbyterian and Gardner-Webb. UNCG also topped GWU by a 5-2 score on Feb. 4.
- In the win over the Runnin' Bulldogs on Wednesday, Campbell got wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles flights to clinch the point then got singles victories from Adrien Rossignon, Fernando Guillen and David Clavera at the top three flights, respectively, and Steven Billington at No. 5.
- Rossignon leads Campbell with a 21-12 singles mark, including a 9-3 record at No. 1. Guillen is 20-11 overall and 8-3 at No. 2, while Josep Baro is on the doorstep of 20 singles wins but has last five straight to fall to 19-15 overall and 5-9 at No. 4.
- In doubles play, Ondrej Kralik and August Iwdal are 17-9 together with a 5-7 mark at No. 3. Guillen and Clavera are 16-13 overall and 10-7 at No. 2, while Baro and Rossignon are 12-15 with an 8-9 record at No. 1.
- Campbell took part in the UNCG Fall Invitational in Greensboro in September. In head-to-head play, Campbell went 2-1 in singles against UNCG, while each team won two doubles matches against the other. Phillips and Varapongsittikul downed Iwdal and Kralik at the USTA/ITA Carolinas Regional Championships in Chapel Hill, N.C., on Oct. 13, handing the duo its lone fall loss. UNCG and Campbell were also both at the Elon Invitational in the fall but did not meet.
- The last time UNCG and Campbell met in a dual match was on Feb. 18, 2011, when the Camels took a 6-1 win in Greensboro to snap the Spartans' 15-match home winning streak. UNCG's lone win on the day came from Sarioglu at No. 6 singles.
- UNCG -