Spartans to host No. 24 North Carolina on Wednesday
UNCG (16-25) vs. No. 24 North Carolina (27-10), DH, April 11, 4 p.m., UNCG Softball Stadium
Live stats: UNCGSpartans.com
Admission: Free all season
• UNCG wraps up a five-game homestand Wednesday when it hosts No. 24 North Carolina for a doubleheader at the UNCG Softball Stadium at 4 p.m. Admission is free.
• North Carolina is ranked 24th in the USA Today/NFCA Division I Top 25 and in the ESPN.com/USA Softball Collegiate Top 25.
• The Tar Heels lead the all-time series, which began in 1988, 41-8, but UNCG won the last meeting to snap Carolina's 16-game winning streak over the Spartans, which dated back to 2002. The squads have met in all but three seasons since then, skipping 1994, 1997 and 2007. The teams split a doubleheader in Chapel Hill, N.C., on April 13 of last season, with Cory Mattson taming the Tar Heels in a 5-2 UNCG win in game two for her second win of the season over an Atlantic Coast Conference team. North Carolina rallied from a late 1-0 deficit to claim game one, 4-1.
• UNCG was swept by Southern Conference leader Georgia Southern over the holiday weekend, falling 4-2 and 9-3 on Friday and 10-2 on Saturday. Aisha Figueroa hit .444 for the weekend, while Alex Emeterio had her first career multi-home run game with a pair of solo blasts in the game-one loss. Heather Robb had a two-run homer for UNCG's only runs Saturday.
• Emeterio leads the Spartans with a .339 average and a .505 on-base percentage and has struck out just six times in 126 plate appearances. Figueroa is hitting a career-high .323 and has stolen 11 bases in 12 tries. Sophomore Katelyn Bedwell is hitting .322 and Eileen Horsmon is hitting an even .300. Bedwell and Horsmon are tied with nine home runs and 36 RBI each, both good for fourth-most in the SoCon. Horsmon, who also leads UNCG with six doubles and two triples, has a team-best .608 slugging percentage.
• UNCG has hit 31 home runs in just 41 games this season, good for sixth-most in school history with at least 15 games left on the schedule. Bedwell and Horsmon have combined for 18 of them, while Robb has six, Emeterio has four and Tatiana Alcala, Dominique Madruga and Toni MacReynolds have one each. The Spartans' home run totals have soared under coach Jennifer Herzig, as seven of the top 10 home run totals in school history have come during Herzig's tenure (2006-present).
• Mattson, a senior, leads UNCG with a 3.61 ERA and is 10-13 on the season for her third straight season with at least 10 wins. Freshman Erica Navarette owns a 4.34 ERA and is 5-9 with three saves and sophomore Josie Felix is 1-3 with a 7.74 ERA.
• Emeterio is in the top 10 in school history in career batting average, hits, doubles, triples, runs, RBI, slugging percentage and walks. With 216 hits to her credit, the school record of 227, shared by Karyn Thompson (1993-96) and Jennifer Bonilla (2004-07), is well within Emeterio's reach. Emeterio could also challenge the school record of 11 triples held by Susan Carter (1986-88), as she has eight to her credit.
• Bedwell currently has a career .323 average, good for seventh in school history, and her .528 slugging percentage puts her fourth. Robb's homer Saturday, the 15th of her career, moved her into a tie for ninth.
• Mattson is seventh in school history with 365 career strikeouts, leaving her three back of sixth-place Erin Chandler, who had 368 from 1993-96.
• UNCG is among the league leaders in several offensive categories. In addition to leading the SoCon in sacrifice flies (12), the Spartans are second in runs (187), RBI (162), triples (eight), home runs (31), walks (108) and batters hit by pitches (26).
• North Carolina swept an ACC road series against Virginia on Friday and Saturday, winning Friday's contest 3-2 before claiming wins of 2-0 and 7-6 Saturday.
• Wednesday's doubleheader will put the wraps on North Carolina's eight-game road swing.
• The Tar Heels have faced two SoCon schools this season, topping Chattanooga 10-0 on Feb. 11 and Elon 6-0 on March 14.
• Amy Nece's .373 average paces five Tar Heels hitting over .300. Kelli Wheeler is hitting .324, while Ally Blake is just behind her at .323. Constance Orr is hitting .321 and Logan Foulks is batting .314 and leads the team with seven homers and 29 RBI.
• Lori Spingola leads North Carolina in the circle with a 20-8 record and a 1.98 ERA. She has struck out 220 batters and walked just 60 in 163 innings of work. Ashley Bone is 3-1 with a 2.86 ERA and Sara Buchholz is 4-1 with a 3.09 mark.
• Spingola is second nationally with 10 shutouts this season and fifth nationally with 20 wins. She is ninth in NCAA Division I in strikeouts.
- UNCG -