Spartans kick off season at Guilford College XC Carnival
UNCG at Guilford College XC Invitational, Sept. 3
- UNCG will look to build off of a successful 2010 campaign as they kick off the 2011 season by competing at the Third Annual Guilford College XC Carnival on Saturday.
- After a pair of high school races to start the day, the men's team will run its 5k race at 9:45 a.m. followed by the women's team running its 5k race at 10:15 a.m.
- Tyron Alston, Dylan Belles, Taylor Day, Asher Hertzberg, John Teeter and Eric Williams will make up the men's team on Saturday.
- Last week, the women's team was picked to finish first in the Southern Conference by the head coaches in the league, while the men's squad was selected to earn runner-up honors. The women picked up 10 of a possible 12 first-place votes as they nearly earned unanimous honors. The men picked up one first-place vote and were picked to finish behind Appalachian State, who has won the SoCon title the past six years.
- Last season at the Guilford College XC Carnival, the women's team came in first place, while the men's team finished in second place. Michelle Chewens claimed top individual honors on the women's side, while Jade Farlow (second), Jenna Paley (fifth), Anna Grimes (sixth) and Shannon Hall (seventh) also finished in the top-10. On the men's side, Kenny Hinman earned runner-up honors and Tyron also came in fourth place in his first collegiate race.
- The men's team returns many of the runners who helped propel them to a runner-up finish at the 2010 SoCon Championship. Joey Thompson, who was runner-up in the meet and named first-team All-SoCon, returns for his senior season, along with Mike Koech, who also earned first-team All-SoCon honors a season ago.
- The men's squad will add a trio of runners from Kenya that should bolster the Spartan lineup in 2011. Paul Katam, who redshirted the cross country season in 2010, qualified for the NCAA Regionals in the 10k during the 2011 outdoor track season and nearly advanced to nationals. Joining the team this year is Paul Chelimo, who was an NAIA All-American in 2010 after finishing in third place at the NAIA National Championship, and Abraham Kemboi who also made it to the NAIA National Championship.
- UNCG returns four runners on the women's team that finished in the top-20 at the 2010 SoCon Championship, highlighted by Ashley Schnell who claimed top honors at the meet and was named the 2010 SoCon Women's Runner of the Year. In addition to Schnell's first-place finish, Shaina Sumney (fourth), Kerry Hartman (15th) and Ginny Cronley (17th) also finished in the top-20. The Spartans will also have the services of Chelsea Sumney this fall as she redshirted the 2010 season with an injury.
- UNCG -