UNCG sends contingent to prestigious Penn Relays
UNCG at Penn Relays, April 26, Philadelphia, Pa.
- The UNCG men's and women's track & field teams will send a small contingent to the world renowned Penn Relays in Philadelphia, Pa., on Thursday.
- Joey Thompson and Abraham Kemboi will represent the Spartan men, while Kerry Hartman, Chelsea Sumney and Shaina Sumney will represent the UNCG women.
- The University of Pennsylvania will host the 118th Penn Relays at Franklin Field from Thursday to Saturday. The largest track meet in the world drew more than 100,000 spectators last year for the 12th consecutive year. The field will include some of the best high school, collegiate and professional runners from all over the globe. Each of the Spartan competitors will race on Thursday.
- Last weekend, the Spartans captured three individual titles at the Southern Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Cullowhee, N.C. On day one, Paul Katam won the 10,000 meters and on day two, Paul Chelimo and Ashley Schnell made it a sweep in the 1,500 meters.
- Thompson turned in a fourth-place finish in the 1,500m, while Kemboi was 14th. On the women's side, Shaina Sumney was second in the event behind Schnell, while Hartman was fourth and Chelsea Sumney was fifth as UNCG took four of the top five spots.
- UNCG's men finished in eighth place as a team, while the women finished in seventh.
- Fans can follow the UNCG track & field coaches on Twitter for updates during the meets @UNCGXC.
- UNCG -