Spartans continue SoCon Tournament play Friday against Appalachian State
GREENSBORO, N.C.—UNCG men's soccer continues Southern Conference Tournament play when they face Appalachian State in semifinal action, 4 p.m., Friday in Boone, N.C.
The top-seeded and defending tournament champion Spartans (9-7-2) advanced after downing Wofford 1-0 in last weekend's quarterfinal in Greensboro. Fifth-seeded App State (10-4-4) enjoyed a 2-0 win at Davidson last Sunday. The winner of Friday's match will face either College of Charleston or Furman in the championship match, 1 p.m., Sunday.
The Spartans and Mountaineers met earlier this season in Boone with App State taking a 1-0 decision on Oct. 8.
UNCG continued its stellar play last weekend in defeating Wofford. Despite scoring just the one goal, the Spartans dominated the match by out-shooting Wofford, 20-10.
UNCG's defense continues to shine. The Spartans haven't allowed a goal in their last five matches and have surrendered just two scores in the last eight matches.
Earlier this week five Spartans were named to the All-SoCon teams. Senior defender Kris Byrd and junior forward Hakan Ilhan were named to the first team for UNCG, while junior goalkeeper Peyton Ford and freshman midfielder Austin Miller were named second team. Miller and fellow freshman David Reittinger also were named to the All-Freshman squad.
App State features 2011 SoCon Coach of the Year Matt Nelson.
Sunday's championship match can be seen on ESPN3.
• Head coach Justin Maullin is 21-13-6 (.600) in his second season with the Spartans, including 9-2-3 (.750) in SoCon regular-season games and 4-0-0 in SoCon Tournament play
• The Spartans are 2-0 all-time in SoCon Tournament matches with Appalachian State, including a 1-0 overtime win last season in the semifinals
• Saturday's match is the 28th meeting in the series between the Spartans and the Mountaineers, with UNCG holding a 19-8-0 advantage all-time
• Junior goalkeeper Peyton Ford added to his school record with his 18th career shutout last Saturday against Wofford
• Ford enters the weekend all but assured of setting the UNCG season record for goals-against average. With a 0.54 gaa, Ford is on pace to shatter the previous season record of 0.83 set by current assistant Jay Benfield in 2005.