Chelimo, Schnell head to California for Payton Jordan Invite
UNCG at Payton Jordan Invitational, April 29, Palo Alto, Calif.
Live stats: www.flotrack.org
- The UNCG men's and women's track & field teams will send Paul Chelimo and Ashley Schnell to Palo Alto, Calif., for the prestigious Payton Jordan Invitational on Sunday.
- Stanford's Cobb Track and Angell Field facility will play host to some of the nation's most elite collegiate track and field athletes in addition to numerous professional competitors Sunday. This will be UNCG's second trip to northern California in just three weeks, having competed at the Stanford Invite on April 6.
- UNCG was last in action at the 118th Penn Relays in Philadelphia, Pa., on Thursday. Shaina Sumney led a trio of Spartans in the 1,500 meters with a fifth-place finish. Sumney and Kerry Hartman turned in personal-best times in the event, while Chelsea Sumney rounded out the UNCG representatives in the 1,500m with a 15th-place finish. Joey Thompson set a PR of his own in the 5,000 meters, while Abraham Kemboi was not far off his own best mark in the 10,000 meters.
- Last weekend, the Spartans captured three individual titles at the Southern Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Cullowhee, N.C. On day one, Paul Katam won the 10,000m and on day two, Chelimo and Schnell made it a sweep in the 1,500m. Both Chelimo and Schnell also won SoCon indoor titles in the mile. UNCG men finished in eighth place as a team, while the women finished in seventh.
- On March 30 at the Raleigh Relays, Chelimo ran the fastest 1,500m time in the country this year, finishing in 3:40.25. His last trip to California resulted in the second-fastest 5,000m performance in the country this season. He'll get another shot at the 5,000m this weekend at the Payton Jordan Invitational.
- Schnell set a new school record in the 5,000m earlier this season at the Stanford Invitational, running a time of 16:01.54. She'll run the 10,000m Sunday.
- Fans can follow the UNCG track & field coaches on Twitter for updates during the meets @UNCGXC.
- UNCG -