Spartans wrap up regular season at Virginia Challenge
UNCG at Virginia Challenge, May 12, Charlottesville, Va.
Live results: VirginiaSports.com
- Four members of the UNCG men's and women's track & field teams will compete at The Virginia Challenge in Charlottesville, Va., on Saturday evening.
- Paul Katam will be the lone representative of the Spartan men, while Kerry Hartman, Chelsea Sumney and Shaina Sumney will represent the UNCG women.
- Hartman will run the 1,500 meters at 8:30 p.m., followed by Katam at 8:55 p.m. in the 5,000 meters and the Sumney sisters in the same event at 9:15 p.m.
- This will be the last meet of the regular season for the Spartans before heading to the NCAA East Preliminary Rounds in Jacksonville, Fla., on May 24-26.
- At the Payton Jordan Invitational on April 29 in Palo Alto, Calif., Paul Chelimo and Ashley Schnell each set new school records en route to Olympic level performances. Chelimo hit an Olympic B standard after recording a time of 13:21.89 in the 5,000m, good enough to be the first collegian in the field and finish eighth overall. Schnell made her 10,000 meter debut in impressive fashion, hitting a U.S. Olympic Trials B standard with a 10th-place finish in a time of 33:59.84.
- Two weeks ago at the prestigious Penn Relays, the Spartan track and field team turned in several stellar performances. All with top-20 finishes, Joey Thompson, Shaina Sumney, and Hartman each set new personal bests in the 5,000m. Abraham Kemboi was not far off his personal record in the 10,000m, turning in a time of 31:25.40.
- This season, the Spartans captured three individual titles at the Southern Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Cullowhee, N.C. On day one, Katam won the 10,000 meters and on day two, Chelimo and Schnell made it a sweep in the 1,500m. UNCG's men finished in eighth place as a team, while the women finished in seventh.
- Fans can follow the UNCG track & field coaches on Twitter for updates during the meets @UNCGXC.
- UNCG -