Spartans head to NCAA East Preliminary Round
UNCG at NCAA East Preliminary Round, May 24-26, Jacksonville, Fla.
Live results: UNFOspreys.com
- Six members of the UNCG men's and women's track & field teams will travel to Jacksonville, Fla., to compete in the three-day NCAA East Preliminary Round, hosted by the University of North Florida, from May 24-26.
- Paul Katam, Joey Thompson and Paul Chelimo will compete for the Spartan men, while Ashley Schnell, Chelsea Sumney and Shaina Sumney will represent the UNCG women.
- Katam, the Southern Conference champion in the 10,000 meters, will run that event at 9 p.m. Thursday, and Thompson will compete in the 3,000-meter steeplechase at 8:50 p.m. Friday. Chelimo, Schnell and the Sumney sisters will race the 5,000 meters on Saturday evening. The men's race will go off at 8:05 p.m. followed by the women at 8:45 p.m.
- Chelimo is the No. 1 seed in the 5,000m this weekend by more than 11 seconds. His time of 13:21.89 is currently the 29th-fastest time in the world at that distance this year according to the International Amateur Athletic Federation.
- Competitors that finish in the top 12 in their events this weekend will move on to the NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Des Moines, Iowa, July 6-9.
- Fans can follow the UNCG track & field coaches on Twitter for updates during the meets @UNCGXC.
- UNCG -