GREENSBORO, N.C. - UNCG men's soccer (1-4-0) goes in search of its first road win of the season this Wednesday, with the Spartans making the midweek trip to UNC Asheville (1-3-1). The Bulldogs are currently on a three-match winless skid, as UNCG looks to bounce back from its recent Friday night loss at Campbell.
• UNCG leads the all-time series against UNC Asheville 14-1-1
• The Spartans were victorious in their previous meeting with the Bulldogs 2-0, with UNCG alum and current San Antonio FC midfielder Leeroy Maguraushe scoring the game-winner
• Albert Pedra and Micah Albert are tied for a team-high five points in 2019, with the latter scoring a pair of goals on just five shots this season
• The Spartans were 23 minutes away from forcing overtime against the No. 20 Tar Heels last week, suffering a 67th minute goal against North Carolina in a 1-0 loss
• UNCG's defense kept both No. 20 UNC and No. 19 Clemson to just four shots on goal apiece
• Goalkeeper Ricky Zarri's 18 saves on the year rank second overall in the Southern Conference, and 59th in Division I men's soccer
• Freshman Matthew Skinner made his second straight start for the Spartans at Campbell last week, playing all but 10 minutes of those two matches
• Former UNCG forward Tyson Hichman leads UNCA with three goals on the year. He currently accounts for 50 percent of the Bulldogs' scoring in 2019, along with 20 percent of their shot production
• Bulldogs' keeper Jarrett Payne currently leads the country with 47 saves in 2019. His save percentage (.839) sits 30th in Division I soccer, however his 1.73 GAA ranks 130th
COMING UP NEXT
The Spartans have a quick turnaround with a Saturday home contest against visiting App State. UNCG dropped its previous meeting with the Mountaineers 1-0 in 2018, but held a four-match win streak against ASU prior to that loss.
-- UNCG –