ELON, N.C. – Men’s tennis saw its three match-winning streak snapped Wednesday evening at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center. The Spartans fell 5-2 to the former Southern Conference rival Elon Phoenix. The Spartans fall to 10-10 on the season, while Elon improves to 15-7.
The competition started with Elon winning the doubles point. The Phoenix earned wins at flights two and three to secure the first point. Logan Walker and Marcus Vidgren fell to Salvador Mijares and Felipe Sarrasague, 6-2. Ian Melnik and Eric Whisnant dropped a 6-3 matchup at No. 3, to Kyle Frankel and Amilo Ponce. The matchup at No. 1 ended with UNCG leading 5-4.
Singles play saw the Spartans get wins from Jack Burkill and Marcus Vidgren. Burkill notched a 6-4, 7-6 (13-11) win over Felipe Osses-Konig at No. 6 for UNCG’s first point of the afternoon. Vidgren ended the scoring with a 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 win over Mario Paccini at No. 2
- Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) def. Connor Thompson (UNCG) 6-2, 6-2
- Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) def. Mario Paccini (ELON) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
- Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Nico Grewe (UNCG) 7-6, 7-5
- Salvador Mijares (ELON) def. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG) 6-2, 6-4
- Jacob Bicknell (ELON) def. Ian Melnik (UNCG) 6-0, 6-4
- Jack Burkill (UNCG) def. Felipe Osses-Konig (ELON) 6-4, 7-6 (13-11)
- Connor Thompson/Nico Grewe (UNCG) def. Neal Port/Mario Paccini (ELON) 5-4
- Salvador Mijares/Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) def. Logan Walker/Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) 6-2
- Kyle Frankel/Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Ian Melnik/Eric Whisnant (UNCG) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,1,4,3,6,2)
The men’s tennis team is back in action this Saturday at Chattanooga at noon in the final regular season match of the season.