Men’s Tennis Sweeps Doubles but Falls at Samford
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – UNCG men’s tennis suffered a 4-3 loss to the Samford Bulldogs Sunday afternoon in Birmingham, Ala. at the Samford Tennis Center. UNCG falls to 7-11 and 2-4 in Southern Conference play. Samford improves to 5-11 and 1-4 in conference action. The Spartans took all three doubles matches but could not split the singles competition.
UNCG swept the doubles competition. Warren Bryan (Greensboro, N.C./Longwood) and Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) defeated Eduardo L. Sanchez and Hugo Moreira, 6-3 at No. 3 to get the scoring started. Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) and Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) defeated Curran Verma and Max Rebol, 6-4 at No. 2 to earn the point. Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) and William Albright (Greensboro, N.C./Grimsley) completed the sweep, defeating Jake Faundez and Justin Ghavami 7-5 at No. 1.
The Spartans couldn’t maintain their lead as they dropped four of six singles matches. Thompson defeated Ghavami, in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3 at No. 1. Bryan notched the other victory, defeating Rebol, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4. Albright and Burkill played three sets, but were unable to earn points.
1. Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) def. Justin Ghavami (SAM) 6-4, 6-3
2. Jake Faundez (SAM) def. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG-M) 6-4, 6-2
3. Eduardo L. Sanchez (SAM) def. William Albright (UNCG-M) 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
4. Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) def. Max Rebol (SAM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Curran Verma (SAM) def. Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
6. Hugo Moreira (SAM) def. Ian Melnik (UNCG-M) 6-2, 6-3
UNCG 7-11, 2-4 SoCon
Samford Men's Tennis 5-11, 1-4 SoCon
UNCG is back in action April 13th, as it heads to Davidson for a 3:00 p.m. match against the Wildcats.