Men's Tennis Falls to Furman in Greenville
GREENVILLE, S.C. – UNCG men’s tennis suffered a 7-0 loss to the Furman Paladins Friday afternoon at the Mickel Tennis Center in Greenville, S.C. The Spartans fall to 7-10 on the season and 2-3 in the Southern Conference. Furman improves to 15-6 and 5-1 in SoCon action.
The Spartans played tough in the doubles competition but fell just short. Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden) Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) and Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) notched a victory at No. 2, defeating Cameron Green and Alex Steryous, 7-6. At No. 3, UNCG just missed out on earning the doubles point. Warren Bryan (Greensboro, N.C./Longwood) and Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) dropped the match to Clarke Wilson and Jake Bhangdia, 7-6.
UNCG was unable to earn a point in the singles competition. Bryan took Jake Munns to three sets at No. 4 singles, but was unable to earn the point. Furman defeated UNCG in straight sets in the other competitions, earning the victory.
1. Adam Steryous (FUR) def. Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) 6-4, 6-0
2. Cameron Green (FUR) def. Marcus Vidgren (UNCG-M) 6-2, 6-4
3. Clarke Wilson (FUR) def. William Albright (UNCG-M) 6-3, 6-3
4. Jake Munns (FUR) def. Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) 7-6, 2-6, 1-0
5. Alex Steryous (FUR) def. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG-M) 7-5, 6-4
6. Jake Bhangdia (FUR) def. Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,2,3,5,6,4)
UNCG is back in action this Sunday as it continues its road trip to Birmingham, Ala. for a SoCon matchup with the Samford Bulldogs at 1:00 p.m.