GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG women’s tennis got its first Southern Conference win this season, defeating the Chattanooga Mocs 4-3 in the last match of the season. The Spartans improve to 4-16 and 1-6 in Southern Conference play. With the match tied 3-3, freshman Brianna Gomez earned a three-set win at No. 4 singles to improve her season record to 15-3 and 5-1 in Southern Conference play.
The Spartans took what proved to be the decisive point right away, taking two of three matches in the doubles competition. Blaine Boaz and Alice Taylor teamed up for a dominating 6-1 win at No. 1. Corinne Blythe and Sophia Adams dropped a 7-5 matchup at No. 3 as Chattanooga evened it. Nancy Bridges and Emily Ory grinded out a 7-5 win over Caroline Hall and Bogdana Zaporozhets to take the point.
Chattanooga started the singles portion of the event by winning three of the first four matches. Bridges earned a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 1, but Chattanooga earned wins at flights 6, 5 and 3 to go up 3-2. Taylor and Gomez brought UNCG back as Taylor earned a 7-6 (7-3), 7-5 win at No. 2 to even the match at 3-3. Gomez came back after dropping the first set 4-6, she won the next two 6-0, 7-6 (7-5) to earn the match and snap the losing skid for the Spartans.
- Nancy Bridges (UNCG) def. Samantha Caswell (UTC) 6-3, 6-2
- Alice Taylor (UNCG) def. Delaney Edwards (UTC) 7-6 (7-3), 7-5
- Caroline Hall (UTC) def. Sophia Adams (UNCG) 6-2, 3-6, 6-0
- Brianna Gomez (UNCG) def. Tamri Chalaganidze (UTC) 4-6, 6-0, 7-6 (7-5)
- Emma Van Hee (UTC) def. Corinne Blythe (UNCG) 6-3, 0-6, 6-1
- Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) def. Blaine Boaz (UNCG) 6-2, 6-0
- Blaine Boaz/Alice Taylor (UNCG) def. Samantha Caswell/Emma Van Hee (UTC) 6-1
- Nancy Bridges/Emily Ory (UNCG) def. Caroline Hall/Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) 7-5
- Delaney Edwards/Annie Tarwater (UTC) def. Corinne Blythe/Sophia Adams (UNCG) 7-5
Chattanooga 9-7, 4-3 SoCon
UNCG Women's Tennis 4-16, 1-6 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,1,5,3,2,4)
UNCG is back in action next weekend as it heads to Chattanooga for the Southern Conference Tournament.