CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – UNCG men’s tennis ended the 2018 season with a dominating performance at Chattanooga Saturday morning. After a slow start in doubles, UNCG went on to sweep all six singles matches to earn the victory. UNCG ends the regular season 11-10 and 4-3 in Southern Conference play. Chattanooga drops to 8-15 and 1-6 in SoCon play.
UNCG got off to a slow start as they dropped two of the three doubles matches. Chattanooga got a 6-1 victory over Marcus Vidgren and Logan Walker at No. 2, before Connor Thompson and Nico Grewe evened it up with a 6-4 win at No. 1. Jack Burkill and Ollie Palmer played tough at No. 3, but couldn’t pull of the win, falling 7-5 to Pablo Llebeili and Cooper Long.
The Spartans rebounded quickly, sweeping the singles portion of the match with just one match going to the third set. Vidgren got UNCG on the board with a 6-3, 6-3 at the third flight. Jack Burkill put UNCG up with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Paul LaHue at No. 6. Grewe was next on the board with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Long and Ian Melnik added a 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 5.
Thompson finished the regular season with a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 1, earning a perfect 7-0 record at No. 1 singles on the season. In the last two years, Thompson lost just one SoCon matchup as he was the 2017 SoCon Player of the Year. Palmer finished the match out with a 5-7, 7-6 (8-6), 1-0 (10-6) win over Simon Bustamante at No. 2.
- Connor Thompson (UNCG) def. Niklas Gerdes (UTC) 6-2, 6-2
- Ollie Palmer (UNCG) def. Simon Bustamante (UTC) 5-7, 7-6 (8-6), 1-0 (10-6)
- Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) def. Pablo Llebeili (UTC) 6-3, 6-3
- Nico Grewe (UNCG) def. Luke Plaisted (UTC) 6-3, 6-4
- Ian Melnik (UNCG) def. Cooper Long (UTC) 6-1, 6-4
- Jack Burkill (UNCG) def. Paul LaHue (UTC) 6-2, 6-3
- Connor Thompson/Nico Grewe (UNCG) def. Simon Bustamante/Jacob Marshall (UTC) 6-4
- Niklas Gerdes/Luke Plaisted (UTC) def. Marcus Vidgren/Logan Walker (UNCG) 6-1
- Pablo Llebeili/Cooper Long (UTC) def. Jack Burkill/Ollie Palmer (UNCG) 7-5
UNCG 11-10, 4-3 SoCon
Chattanooga 8-15, 1-6 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,6,4,5,1,2)
The men’s tennis team heads back to Chattanooga as they will participate in the SoCon Tournament, hosted by the Mocs.