GREENSBORO, N.C. - After claiming a 2019 Southern Conference Regular Season title, No. 2 UNCG men's soccer begins its bid toward becoming unified SoCon champions with a Sunday semifinal against No. 6 Belmont. With their 5-1-0 record in SoCon play the Spartans clinched a No. 2 seed in this year's bracket, along with an automatic advancement to this season's semifinal round.
The Spartans have reached the conference finals in each of the past two years, while falling to Mercer and Furman in 2017 and 2018 respectively. The side will be looking for their first tournament title since 2010, the last time they were unified champs, surrendering just a single goal over three victories during that tourney run.
• UNCG has never lost to the Bruins in their program history, going 2-0-1 over three meetings while defeating the side 2-1 in Nashville on October 15th
• The Spartans have a 32-15-3 record in the Southern Conference and have never faced Belmont in the postseason
• The Spartans have not a lost a match inside UNCG Soccer Stadium since September 21st, going 4-0 at home since that date
• Albert Pedra scored one of the fastest hat tricks in NCAA history last week against Old Dominion, hitting the back of the net three times in the span of three minutes and four seconds
• Pedra's hat trick is the first the Spartans have had since UNCG alum Damieon Thomas scored three against Presbyterian on September 14, 2016
• Micah Albert and Matthew Cutler each recorded a pair of helpers on the Spartans' three goals against Old Dominion, moving to three and five helpers on the year respectively. Nelson Oceano leads UNCG with six assists, ranking third in the Southern Conference overall
• Keeper Brendan Pulley holds a season goals against average of .90, putting the freshman first in the Southern Conference and 34th in the nation
• Despite taking less than 11 attempts at goal per match, 49.4 percent of the Bruins' shots have been on frame in 2019, ninth-best in Division I men's soccer
• Belmont has reached the Southern Conference Championship tournament in each of its two years as a member of the conference, this Sunday's semifinal against UNCG is the deepest they've gone in the tournament thus far
COMING UP NEXT
With a win over No. 6 Belmont the Spartans will earn a berth to this year's Southern Conference final against the winner of the No. 1 Furman/No. 4 Mercer matchup in Greenville. This year's final will take place on either the 16th or 17th of November, with the Paladins hosting on a win over the Bears, or the Spartans hosting on a win and a Furman loss.
-- UNCG –